HP & Torque??

sulando

Car
sulando
Hi

I cant able to relate

1. What is Torque? & how it exactly works in car??
2. What is HP?

how these are related??
I have gone through many article but i cant??
please help me !!

Thank you

Roughly, torque is the cars ability to move mass. That is what you feel when you drive. Horsepower dictates the cars maximum power. Usually when people seek to increase their low-end power they talk of torque and horsepower is associated with top-end.

I'm not sure though:confused: Hope someone could confirm.

EDIT: Oh, and this is in wrong section of the forum-DON´T REPOST IT IN DIFFERENT ONE, Waynne will move it for you.

Last edited:
Torque is the turning force from the engine, HP is calculated using the torque (cant remember the formula right now) its related to revs too, which is why on a rolling road graph the power/torque always cross at 5252(?) rpm

Its a common misconception that you need torque to have a quick car, because the gearing used can change the torque applied to the road. This is exactly what honda do...low torque, high power and revs and appropriate gearing

Last edited:
its like in a jeep or 4x4

lets say a mitubishi pajeero has 90 bhp
it takes all day to get to its top speed of 100 mph, slow yes

but its torque is huge and powerfull enough (if you could manage to do so) to pull a house down

torque is pulling strenght
hp acheives speed

how their connected is simple
torque is what makes you achieve top speed fast, the more torque, the faster it can use its hp and get to top speed

both cars have the same bhp

car 1 100 bhp, 200 tourqe
car 2 100 bhp, 100 torque

both cars top speed is 120 mph
in a drag race, car 1 will win

Think of HP as the rate effort or work is done and Torque as the amount of effort or work involved. Torque is based on HP and RPM. Both Torque and HP need to be higher to be better.

A tractor may have 500bhp but would lose out in a race with a 500bhp car as it has low rpm and the gearing is set to maximise the Torque or turning force delivery.

You can't really increase Torque without increasing BHP so you can't say that more torque means less speed. Although as mentioned already changing the gearing to give more torque will affect the speed.

It does happen though - for example, when Lotus switched from the 2.0 to the 2.2 in the Esprit, the HP remained the same but the torque was boosted from 140ft-lbs to 160ft-lbs.

As the others say though, all other things being constant you'll see an increase in acceleration but not a decrease in top speed.

:D Hmm a change of engine is sneaky!

To increase the 2.0 to 160ft-lbs you would need to increase the bhp but there are always exceptions to this rule.

At the end of the day Torque is a function of BHP and RPM so an RPM increase would raise Torque without affecting the BHP per se!;) Ok so now i'm starting to get confused!

We tend to take peak figures when we talk cars but the overall curve is much more important.

We tend to take peak figures when we talk cars but the overall curve is much more important.

Most defiantly. We shaved 1.3 seconds off the 1/4 mile time of my girlfriends old car with a remap despite only giving it an additional 15BHP. The torque curve is pretty much what did it.

Hi Issy welcome to TorqueCars - please post up a hello in the newbies section so we can all meet your properly.;):D