Howdy from Down Under

davidhooau

Car
Mazda MX5
Hi,

I live in rural Queensland Australia and have a 1990 Mazda MX5 (275,000 miles on the original engine) and a 1989 Ducati Paso 906, with the weber carb replaced with EFI (weber TBs and homebrew ECU). I previously fell in love with an Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT, also EFI converted, but a big truck ran into the back of it, and I still miss my old friend (which owed me many thousands of hours!).

I'm an electronics engineer, still working in my late 60s, and I'm looking forward to learning lots here!

Cheerio,

david

Hi,

I live in rural Queensland Australia and have a 1990 Mazda MX5 (275,000 miles on the original engine) and a 1989 Ducati Paso 906, with the weber carb replaced with EFI (weber TBs and homebrew ECU). I previously fell in love with an Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT, also EFI converted, but a big truck ran into the back of it, and I still miss my old friend (which owed me many thousands of hours!).

I'm an electronics engineer, still working in my late 60s, and I'm looking forward to learning lots here!

Cheerio,

david
Hello and welcome from a fellow Aussie who is quite a bit older and I still love track days. Was @ Qld Raceway racing in the wet last Thursday and loved it with the TC turned off so there would be no silly electronic gizmos spoiling
my fun.

Had a test drive of my mates Giulietta waaaay back and hated the rubbery gearchange due to the rear mounted gearbox.

Hi again. My Alfa was actually an alfetta GTV: whoops.

I agree, the original gear change is pretty fussy, but with time and lots of learning and swearing it was OK. For those folk unfamiliar with the alfettas, the clutch and gearbox is combined with the diff at the rear of the car, so there's really good weight distribution. The transmission is bolted to the body, so unsprung weight is pretty low, but the rubber bushings/blocks which secure the transmission are quite flexible, so the gear linkages are a bit funky to allow for the the movement. The engine also accelerates/decelerates more slowly when unloaded than most people are used to due to the additional angular momentum of the drive shaft, so get the timing of shifts a bit wrong.

I had designed and mostly built a new shift mechanism, but never got to test it out.

david

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back