How would you define drifting?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Following the Lazarus like thread that is can FWD drift I thought it was time to put up a proper definition of drifting.

Here is my first attempt.
Drifting is a stylised form of driving where oversteer is provoked and then maintained in a controlled manner where legal to do so.

What do you think? Can you come up with a better definition of drifting? This definition rules out street drifting which is known as reckless and dangerous driving, and changes the other debate to can FWD cars mantain a drift?

no, fwd cannot drift, they can slide or handbreak round a corner, but they cannot drift.

to drift you need the rear wheels pushing the back end out.

i say you have got a pretty good definition there waynne, basically if the car is maintaning an oversteer, its drifting, but then again do you count 4 wheel drifts as drifting, as its understeer and oversteer at the same time.

i would say yes it is drifting, but not good drifting as it really only happerns when you push it too much when you are half way round the corner.
(had it happern to me a couple of times go karting quite satisfying tbh lol, but not as much as oversteer)

Last edited: