How to: Write off an Alfa

02112009305.jpg

02112009306.jpg

02112009307.jpg

I have to put my hands up and say it was my own fault, luckily no-one else was involved and no-one was hurt. Never had a crash before in the 3 years+ I've been driving, not even a minor bump :sad2:

Well the insurers are sorting it now. I can't see it not being a write off, assuming there's no structural damage (which there probably will be after such an impact) it needs a new rear quarter, rear bumper, boot lid, front bumper, bonnet and both wings at the very leat :lol:

Basically, I came off junction 8 of the M6 in the wet. It's a slight long right hander that goes over the motorway. Was doing about 60-65 just cruising along round the bend then suddenly the back end flicked out without any warning. I kept my foot in and tried to pull it back but it happenned too fast. Went drifting sideways for a short time before hitting the concrete wall front nearside on at what must've been about 50-60. Bounced off that and went backwards hitting the concrete wall the other side on the rear nearside. Pushed the car out of the way, checked it over, started it and drove it home slowly!

I'm honestly not 100% sure what happenned to provoke the back end to go so suddenly. I may well have hit standing water but I was a bit flustered to say the least to have a look around. I was not speeding but it's perfectly possible and likely that I was going too fast for the situation otherwise I don't think it would've happenned, or at least I would've had more time to react.

Sorry to hear this mate! Glad you are ok, I bet it has shaken you up a bit. It just goes to show that this sort of thing can happen to anyone.

Keep us posted about your claim. In the meantime look on autotrader and print out all the ads of similar age/mileage Alfas so you are ready to negotiate over the price.

Yeah I'm just glad nobody was hurt. That's what's p*ssed me off the most, that I could've hurt someone. Not bothered about myself or the car too much. As you said Waynne, it could happen to anyone, but you don't expect it to happen to you!

Cheers will do. Looking around I think I'll be happy with £10k but we'll see what they offer first. I can't be arsed to go back and forth for weeks over say £500. I have £600 excess though lol.

Parkers say private good £11,000 and poor £8770. Thats for a bog standard one though and mine has full leather, 18" alloy upgrade, metallic paint and rear parking sensors.

Just only sorted out a boot rattle that had been annoying me for ages as well. Now I've got loads :lol:

The front looked okay, then the rear......................oops! Lucky there was no-one else involved. Like you said, standing water can do that, my brother-in-law lost control of his beemer in the wet. Road conditions were not that bad until he went down a dip in the dual carriageway and the dip was partially flooded due to poor drainage and it just went away from him. He was not travelling too fast for the conditions either, it happens.

Glad you're okay though.

Oh dear, you must be gutted, glad you didn't come to harm though. I remember my big bump, not a pleasant experience, here have a nice cup of tea :)...

tea_cup_small.jpg

same here mate glad your ok id be gutted too are you going to buy it back off the insurance company and get it back roadworthy lost control of my beemer in the wet was going round a small roundabout and the back end kicked out and i went round the roundabout facing it.

here have a nice cup of tea :)...

Lol that's exactly what the missus' old dear said!

Don't think I'll buy it back tbh mate the damage is too bad. Might swap the tires for part worns though before it goes (assuming it does get written off) because it's got £400+ worth of Eagle F1's on at the moment that are about 200 miles old!

just looking at the pics it most likey be writen off due to it needing a rear qtr and being a alfa bits are not cheap
but clad your ok and does happen quick

After a couple of days with a brand spanking Corsa 1.2 Sxi (30 miles on the clock when it was delivered) as a courtesy car I can officially say...IT'S CRAP!

Worst car I have EVER EVER driven. Driving position is just horrible, seats are horrible, gearbox is horrible can't even tell when I'm in gear half of the time and it's so notchy. Clutch and steering far far far too light when I first got in I nearly put my left foot through the floor putting it into reverse when I first pulled off the drive. Heavy as oat for a small car, still running in but my god is it slow. Slower than my old 1.2 8v Punto runaround even. Feel like you're sitting ON it not IN it.

Plastics and dashboard design....horrible for a modern car. Everythings so badly placed and far away. Crappy indicators and wiers on a short stalk that you just sorta of press instead of sticking on properly. Seems to have carpet on the door card arm rests instead of some decent material. Cheap cheap cheap. Not as big of a boot as I was expecting.

Upside is it has good brakes and it seems stable enough round the twisties.

If anything served as a warning not to have an accident, this is it!

I know how that feels loosing control of your car. I'm just glad nobody else was hurt or involved that's a good thing that I'm sure your happy about as well. I hope everything goes over swell for you.

Car repair place rang today. The engineer says not economical to repairs (no surprise) so...written off! :confused: Because of this they want the courtesy Corsa back tomorrow! I said that's not possible and she was being really arsey, wanted to get it this afternoon instead. I think not! Far too much short notice so apparently they're coming to collect it tomorrow morning, it won't be there though as I need it for work :lol: