How to tighten my fan belt

S6fto

Car
2.0 fto manual
Hi guys just recently brought an fto manual and when I start her up the belt squeals and gets worse when I turn heater on when driving can anyone tell me how to tighten the belt and which one it is thanks :)

Hello mate welcome to the forum,most fan belts run around the altanator which is where the adjustment usually is,slacken the bolts which hold the alternator to the engine,on the front of the alternator is a slotted metal bracket with a bolt in it which is bolted to the engine and alternator slacken these and the alternator will move away from the engine thus tightenning the belt,some alternators have a bolt which you do up which moves the alternator which tightens the belt,this is a rough guide to the job it may differ from car types,i am not sure what set up you will have,i do hope however this helps,it is an easy job to do but sometimes awkward to get at bolts etc,.....good luck !!!!.

I would guess it is the alternator belt, as it gets louder under heavy electrical load.

Its handy to have another person there, one can brace the alternator whilst the other tightens up the nut. It is sometimes easier using a lever to push the alternator as far as it will go against the belt.

Also check the belt for wear and tear, any cracks or worn edges means it is due to be replaced.

Has the cam belt been changed and checked recently?

Hi thanks for the replies and ill have to give it ago before work tomoz and haven't had the cam changed yet how much would this cost to get changed at local garage any idea? Thanks :)

Don't know the cost as it varies so much from car to car, mine was around £250.

They need doing every 5 years or 70,000 miles or so but even this depends on the engine. It's not worth risking it though, if they go it's goodbye engine!

I would guess it is the alternator belt, as it gets louder under heavy electrical load.

Its handy to have another person there, one can brace the alternator whilst the other tightens up the nut. It is sometimes easier using a lever to push the alternator as far as it will go against the belt.

Also check the belt for wear and tear, any cracks or worn edges means it is due to be replaced.

Has the cam belt been changed and checked recently?

In the past i have used a wooden wedge to push alternator to tension the belt,put wedge between engine and alternator,:bigsmile::bigsmile:

Don't know the cost as it varies so much from car to car, mine was around £250.

They need doing every 5 years or 70,000 miles or so but even this depends on the engine. It's not worth risking it though, if they go it's goodbye engine!

think your getting mixed up with timing belt and drive belt mate.
timing belt goes yup more than likely damage to the head and pistons. drive belt youll lose power steering and be running on battery but no damage.