How to tell the difference between a car driver and a car user

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
A couple to start us off.

A car driver knows how to signal at roundabouts.

A car driver can change gears, both up AND down, without using the clutch.

A car driver knows that the indicator stalk is there to be used to indicate with and not just there for hanging the air freshner from.

A car driver knows that despite the lovely weather and night time driving, the front fog lights have a specific purpose for a specific weather type and it does NOT make the car look cool if left constantly switched on.

A car driver knows that the red warning light on the dashboard saying rear fog lights, are just that, a warning, and they should be switched off unless the weather dictates otherwise.

A car driver knows that the use of the vanity mirror is for when your parked up and stationary only, and not for applying or checking your makeup while doing 30 in a built up area.

A user will not know the price of an MOT, Tax or Servicing costs (sorry WAG's)

A user will not know how to check the oil or change a flat.

A driver will know when the timing belt was last done

A driver will know what mpg they are getting

Hey herb, that's what I always say, guess what I mean is a driver who's safely played around and know what he's capable of won't go on public roads endanger others by doing something he's not certain he can handle, sorry was a bit vague.

a driver looks after their car and doesnt want to damage it, not just wants to avoid their insurance going up

Not sure about this one. I think even car users don't want to damage their cars as this reduces their resale value and even car users understand that :)

But how do you find your limit without pushing the boundaries?

Pushing boundaries doesn't have to be on a public road. How can you determine the difference between a person being stupid to a person testing their limit?

You cannot!

I'd say a driver knows no bounds, knows the vehicle inside out and what both are capable of. But to push your limit you do it on a track so you do not endanger any one else or risk loosing your license.

A driver is keen to keep learning to drive, a user relies on their current skill set and stops learning.

A driver keeps the car in tip top condition and knows when something is wrong, a user is generally surprised and shocked when it breaks down and they haven't even topped the oil up since last year.

Not sure about this one. I think even car users don't want to damage their cars as this reduces their resale value and even car users understand that :)
i mean getting used to the car and learning its dimensions and abilities, not reckless driving

a driver also understands the highway code and keeps up to date with it, not forgetting it by the time they get home with their nice new certificate to say they passed their test

A driver doesn't skimp on brakes, tyres, ect.

A user buys cheep parts & keeps using them until they physically stop working.

Not so sure about this.

A user will get their car serviced by a garage in order to keep the stamps up to date so the resale value isn't compromised.

Users aren't necessarily stupid, just not interested in improving their driving skills. It doesn't mean that their vehicles aren't looked after.

Just describing some people who are definitely Users. Not implying their stupid, just more concerned with money then driving.

Users are very left brained. Drivers are very right brained...Well that's how I think of it.