How to tell if a diesel is remapped

Re: Help with driving a diesel

Drive several. youll notice a big difference with some cars over others.
other option is connect up to the diagnostic port and go for a spin and record the max boost (course this only works on a turbo/superharged car ) and match this to the specifications

Drive several. youll notice a big difference with some cars over others.
other option is connect up to the diagnostic port and go for a spin and record the max boost (course this only works on a turbo/superharged car ) and match this to the specifications

Eh?! At 19, i just about managed a spin in two cars the same! Even more so buying private. And im not going to go and buy vag com for £250odd quid, to check if a car has been mapped! when you sell your cars, u let prospective buyers start playing about with the car do you? :embarrest:

Didnt relise you were only 19, and vagcom only works on vag cars (and as a side i only paid £65 for a registared version ) you could just claim that your checking the car for fault codes as dealers charge around £100 to clear these
there isnt really any other way as youd need to know what a standard car feels like to drive.
What kind of car are you looking at ?

It should be obvious, a tell tale is that it revs like a petrol and pulls all the way to the redline. (Although all cars are different and some diesels rev higher and harder than other models in standard form.)

I think most owners will boast about a remap - they would view it as a selling point.

You can only tell by driving back to back with a similar model really if you don't know what the standard car should do. Remapping is a very scientific process, far superior to tuning boxes and other such devices.

When I come to sell my car on I will disclose all to any prospective buyer as I feel they have a right to know.

Personally I don't see it as a negative provided you keep up with servicing and let the engine idle down for a couple of minutes after hard driving before switching off.

Mine was done 2 and a half years ago at 55,000 miles. Now at 113,000 and no issues.

I'd promote is as a selling point. The buyer HAS to be aware for insurance purposes. Non-disclosure could leave you in a difficult position.

There is always the option to return it to factory tune if necessary.

Im not looking to buy, i have a skoda fabia vRS, and its suprisingly common for these to be mapped early in there life (even by "older" owners). It just got me thinking, the only real way of telling, is as said, driving back to back with another model the same, or rolling road it.

Its also not uncommon to hear storys of cars being mapped early on, and after passing thru a few owners, ending up sold as a bog std car. So if this was bought, and an accident happened, who would be at fault?

Sorry if this is covering a range of different topics, just on a train of though lol

matt

The phrase "acting in good faith" springs to mind here. If you had no way of telling then your insurers would have to prove that the car was modified and secondly a phone call to the previous owner would back up the owner that he was in the dark (hopefully).

It's very hard to tell and insurers don't cart about £1000's worth of diagnostic kit just in case. The only time they'd investigate is if they really thought you were trying to pull the wool over their eyes.

They wouldn't really need to prove anything as I cannot imagine any loss adjuster spending days getting cars professionally examined unless they have a sound case to believe that you're trying to defraud them.

Obviously, if you're car is modified and you know about it you MUST disclose it to your insurer.

remapped it on purpose? If you've had your ecu remapped then it's on purpose. It's not happened by accident!!!! Just tell them everything and let 'em decide whether to insure you, or not.

If they won't, go elsewhere. Just make sure you tell them that you won't accept them recording that you've been denied insurance. You have a right to get quotes without any prejudice.

listen to the engine note. if the dail moves up and down during idle(hunting) or take it for a dyno run and read the graph to see if the power is different to the manufactures quoted power

None of that is reliable. Mine is remapped and idle is rock steady. I can't say the same for tuning boxes. These are botch boxes and are to be avoided.