How to remove rust and treating rust on cars

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Rust is metals version of cancer. Once it gets hold it takes over eating into more and more of the metal. Rust needs Oxygen and moisture to perform its stuff. When metal is protect by a layer of paint the oxygen cannot penetrate. However a stone chip is all it takes to start off the process. Initially rust will bubble up the surface of the metal gradually eating deeper and deeper. The earlier it is caught the better it will be.

Continue reading...

Modern cars just don't seem to rust, unless they have had a bad accident repair at some point. Is this down to better paints or is the metal treated better now?

years ago often the metal wasnt treated at all.

For example one of the reasons early 911s are worht more is that they rust as a pastime so are much rarer in rust free condition . They only stopped rusting when they decided to use galvenised panels

I've been using owatrol oil in my paint for some time now. But it's only recently I've read the back and it turns out it's a rust inhibitor. Sooout of curiosity I tried some on a rusty scrapper I did 2 test area's 1 where I rubbed down the rust and the other where I didn't. Got to say I'm quite impressed it penatrated through the area I didn't rub down and has stopped any rust returning. It's cheaper than an equivalent hammerite and you get moreffor your money. Win win in my book

Vauxhalls and Alfa Romeos built in the 60s and 70s started to rust before they left the factory.