How to make biodiesel?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If you want to do it properly then how do you go about making your own biodeisel?

I guess that new diesels will object if we just fill them with cooking oil so what sort of distillation and additives are required?

Don't do it. We had a lorry stranded in the entrance to our car park that ran on biodiesel and the company that made it didn't put in the thinning agaent and it needed pump, injectors, filter and lines cleaning through and in some cases replacing.

The process is quite complex. It's not just a case of filtering waste oil and adding a solvent (thinning agent). There are numerous sites on the web that describe the process. All slightly differently. That's the nature of the www.

Some say you can run fresh cooking oil - I have done this 50/50 with mineral diesel in the Seat 1.9D indirect injection car we have. Works fine, but be careful in winter. Don't EVER do this with a direct fed car (HDi, TDi, iCDTi, DTi, d, D etc).

why dont do it it one of those engine types? it blow up? or just really damage them?

from what ive heard the oil is too thick. ends up blocking the injector pump and the injectors them selves. Its normally ok on NON common rail diesels as there isnt the high pressure injector pump

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back