How to improve performance on an N/A Toyota AW11, 1986?

Car
Toyota Celica GT
Just picked up a 1986 Toyota MR2 AW11, with the 4A-GE engine.

What should be my first move besides maintenance and getting her safe to drive? Just want to restore some of the horses she has lost over her 31 years.

Oh, yeah, she has only 144,000 miles on her. Too late in a lifetime for forced induction? Give me your thoughts, and thanks for checking in.

If you have the time and the money you could go for a full engine strip down and rebuild. If the car has been looked after by the previous owner then 144k should not really be a problem. Forced induction ie. turbocharging will involve a lot of money and the car off the road for some considerable time. You may be able to supercharge it which will be much cheaper, but you will need to make sure you have space for the supercharger and additional pulleys in the first place.
Have a look here for some performance parts specifically for the MR2 for inspiration for you...
https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/performance/toyota/mr2.html
Good luck

Os I am fairly sure that his car is the first model that had a 4AGE 1600cc motor and they were also sold with a 1600cc supercharged 4GZE factory motor in them as well so he may be able to track one down for a transplant for more go.

Last edited: