how to get more power

karl renshaw

Car
leon 1.8t sport 20v
any body help i have just brought a leon 1.8t 20v sport on a 2000 plate and want to get it to about 240bhp is it pos to do it with just up rating the exhaust , putting on a dump valvue with power boast and induction kit or would i have to go more intense . i was toid by the dealer when i brought it that i was 180 bhp

Last edited:
lot more mate.
mines it the 180 as well to get to 240 you really should be looking at new turbo as the K03s, thats the difference between the 150 (k03) and 180 is only good for around 220 after that its likly to end up in pieces due to overspeeding

induction kit is the only thing that will give you power and even then your only looking at 10 - 15 bhp.
power boost valves are advised to be left until a remap (come on to it in a min) as they may cause the ECU to get confused and overfuel
dump valves are to be avoided - VAG use a closed loop system, basically the excess air is put back round into the inlet pipe so its slightly pressurized. The ECU knows about this and adds the fuel as needed. Putting on a dump valve will do away with this air so will over fuel. You need a diverter valve forge seem to be the best for this with theyre 007p valve. Its a good idea to change this as the factory ones are crap to put it nicly once the remaps in place there prone to splitting.

Remaps - get in touch with custom code, revo or jabbasport. All three of these companies will take it up to around 210bhp for around £500. this is the most cost effective mod several also do multiple maps - stage 1,2,3 custom. Basically you get the stage 1 for a standard car, stage 2 for induction kit, exhaust and fuel pressure reg (power boost Valve).

Turbo upgrades - cheapest option is to get a K04 turbo off the cupra, S3 or TT225 this does require alot of work to fit. Awesome do a rebore rebuild service for around £1k where they take your K03s, bore and fit the K04 internals, with a remap id say your looking at around 230bhp (full K04 turbo (proper one) 3" induction and twin pipe - full system like on the S3 cupra TT not just the back box - exhaust and remap should see you around 250 ish.

id avise putting around £2k by if your wanting 240bhp

lot more mate.
mines it the 180 as well to get to 240 you really should be looking at new turbo as the K03s, thats the difference between the 150 (k03) and 180 is only good for around 220 after that its likly to end up in pieces due to overspeeding

induction kit is the only thing that will give you power and even then your only looking at 10 - 15 bhp.
power boost valves are advised to be left until a remap (come on to it in a min) as they may cause the ECU to get confused and overfuel
dump valves are to be avoided - VAG use a closed loop system, basically the excess air is put back round into the inlet pipe so its slightly pressurized. The ECU knows about this and adds the fuel as needed. Putting on a dump valve will do away with this air so will over fuel. You need a diverter valve forge seem to be the best for this with theyre 007p valve. Its a good idea to change this as the factory ones are crap to put it nicly once the remaps in place there prone to splitting.

Remaps - get in touch with custom code, revo or jabbasport. All three of these companies will take it up to around 210bhp for around £500. this is the most cost effective mod several also do multiple maps - stage 1,2,3 custom. Basically you get the stage 1 for a standard car, stage 2 for induction kit, exhaust and fuel pressure reg (power boost Valve).

Turbo upgrades - cheapest option is to get a K04 turbo off the cupra, S3 or TT225 this does require alot of work to fit. Awesome do a rebore rebuild service for around £1k where they take your K03s, bore and fit the K04 internals, with a remap id say your looking at around 230bhp (full K04 turbo (proper one) 3" induction and twin pipe - full system like on the S3 cupra TT not just the back box - exhaust and remap should see you around 250 ish.

id avise putting around £2k by if your wanting 240bhp

cheers buddy cleared that up nicely . :bigsmile: sounds like the way to go . best start putting up the cash !!!!

Darn I got beaten to a 1.8T tuning question! Well covered there PG! You have some extra rep for that one!

Welcome to TorqueCars Karl and do keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

it wasnt bad im sure ill have missed something out.
try giving awesome a shout for all this
# APR Twin wall tubular Exhaust Manifold
# Garrett GT28RS Ball-Bearing Turbocharger
# Larger APR designed Mass Airflow Sensor Housing
# APR Custom Cast Silicone Intake Hoses
# APR High Flow Fuel Injectors
# Uprated Fuel Pump & 4 Bar Pressure Regulator
# All Associate Plumbing and Hardware

all for a nice £5k 340bhp and 330ftlb

id hope so they used to list it as around £3.5k had alook at an A4 they had as a project car
Specification:
APR Stage 3+ Kit w. Garrett GT28RS Turbo - £3495 (+16 hrs labour)APR exhaust with Hi-Flow catalyst - £595 (+2 hrs labour+cat)
APR Front Mounted Intercooler - £599 (+4 hrs labour)
so 16hrs is around £1500, £90ish an hour that sounds about right