How to get more power from RB20DE

Justinwill4

Car
1991 Skyline r32GTS
So I recently acquired a 1991 r32 Skyline GTS with a pure stock RB20DE under the hood. I have been searching around the internet and other forums on how to get the most power from the RB20DE. So far the 'Tuning guide "RB20DE Modifications"' on TorqueCars has been the most in depth source I have been able to find. I was just wondering if anyone knew a little more specific information on this or even if someone has experience getting more power from this engine. Also, I have to use my Skyline as my daily, so it needs to be able to reliably get me around every day after any engine mods. I wish I knew more about engines, but I don't. So any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi there, most people focus on the Turbo engines, especially the RB25's and the RB20, a great little engine gets overlooked.

Power gains on a NASP block like this will cost quite a bit, you'd need to do some porting and head work including a 3 or 5 angle valve job. If the engine gets balanced it can make more power as it opens up the top end for you.

A low boost supercharger or turbo are also options, but you'll need to address fuelling and mapping.

Just mapping the engine, adding an induction kit and better exhaust will only net you around 10hp more. Much depends on your budget really, in lots of similar cases it is cheaper and easier to do an engine swap than it is to upgrade the engine.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back