How to get internet in your car

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Do you think that in car internet will catch on or do you think that smart phones will just be better connected to your cars ICE system.

Does anyone here have internet in their car? Does it work well or is it just adequate in most locations?

We have internet in our car when i have to take the kids out on a long journey

we use the laptop and a mobile dongle - it's pretty good actually

I hate the idea, but its more than certainly going to happen on a full, world wide scale.

Insurance will soon (within 20 years) be charged depending on how much you use your car. Therefore, GPS/Internet in car. And eventually, George Orwell.

Its how its going. Some tracking systems can already alert the manufacture if the car exceeds a certain speed.

The big brother implications are scary! Automatic speeding tickets and parking fines! Hacking a web enabled cars ecu could also be s problem. I prefer the web part to be a standalone function with sat nav/ice/local tourist info etc.

just like on Die Hard 4 - where they got that car started remotely - if someone car start a car like that - surely they car stop one as well

sorta had it in the bora, could tether my phone to the carputer but vodaphone were funny about it sometimes it would work othertimes not.

its a handy thing to have in the way of real time gps so you know if the roads are getting busy and can make a detour etc but its not like you really need youtube while driving

Do you think that in car internet will catch on or do you think that smart phones will just be better connected to your cars ICE system.

Does anyone here have internet in their car? Does it work well or is it just adequate in most locations?

I do think that it will catch on! Seen a Mercedes 600 and a Rolls Royce Phantom kitted out by Motormedia with all the toys and it was truly amazing :amazed:
I can see this feature being rolled out to the more mundane of cars in the not too distant future!

I don't see it being that hard tbh. After all phones manage to pick up a signal so surely they could plant something in a car.
I mean there's a bit more space than inside a mobile phone.

its easy enough to do, i could have bought a 3g stick and had it that way. the blackberry allows you to use its internet connection through the usb - dependant on providers

I'll be surprised if this doesn't become the norm soon. Internet will open up so many possibilities, streaming audio from your home computer, live navigation information, instant tourist information updates etc...

I think the Internet and Car should stay away from one an another because the more technology you put in a motor the more it will break

imagine if you could up date / MAP your ECU over the internet ;)

My car was roadmapped using a laptop so it can definately be done

I have added a running in map through a cd sent through the post when
it was being run in
So if I gave remote access to my tuner via my laptop and connect it to my ECU (on wifi) he could remap for sure it as long as he has the password to my ECU and the HKS security dongle is in place in his.

the computer doesnt find the fault it diagnoses it, the technician has to find the actual fault. this is where problems occur because the ECU doesnt see a fault then theres nothing wrong ie dirty MAF will cause running problems but not show up and error.

and once upon a time you needed 6 ltrs to get 100 bhp.
now some 1ltrs are nearly getting that

well....

once upon a time, everyone (well almost everyone) could service their own cars, simple to do, and fix.

BUT..

now you have to use a computer to find a fault - if it finds it at all, such a PITA

But the faults are very very rare now. And computers are cheap, too.