How to drive a car

Following some shocking examples of car control and road sense in my area and as requested by HDI fun here is a guide on how to drive.

If you know how to drive then you probably needn't bother reading this.

Controls.
A car has 4 main controls.
The steering wheel is the round thing in front of you. In some cars it may have a flat bottom but generally it is round. When you turn this to the right the car goes to the right, the more you turn it the more right you go.

Then we have the pedals conveniently arranged in reverse alphabetical order so we can remember them. Clutch, Brake and Accelerator.

The clutch is used to stop a crunching noise from happening when you change the gear. Press the cluctch just before you move the gearstick.

The Brake is used to stop the car. The harder you press the quicker the car stops. Be careful because if you press it too hard the car will skid just like an ice skater and we all know that if you are skidding you can't stop as easily. There is also a brake that applies to the rear wheels operated by hand. Primarily used by youths to turn a car round quickly it is also handy when a car is parked because you wouldn't want to have to stay in the car with your foot on the brake pedal.

Accelerator gets the most use. The harder you press this the faster the car goes. If you see a car behind you then press this pedal really hard to make it dissapear into the distance. If everyone applied this rule then I'm sure our roads will be a lot safer.

There is a big window in front of you and you should look out of this and pay attention to what is going on outside. Too many people look out of the side windows at hot totty in the summer and the rest are usually fiddling with the radio or a mobile phone which is just plain silly.

Either side of the steering wheel are sticky things.
One of these control the flashing things that tell other cars where you are wanting to go. You need to move it in the direction you plan to travel as these are not physcic and it is recommended to do this before you change direction.

The other one sprays water at the windscreen and moves the wiper blades up and down. Don't get them confused as wiper blade movements do not give much indication of where you plan to turn.

The top safety rule is always to keep 1 inch between your car and anything else on the road. Everytime someone gets within an inch they have an accident and hit something. So if you always have at least an inch to spare you will never hit anything.

How's that then? Have I missed off anything important?:lol:

:lol: You forgot steering left!

The steering wheel is the round thing in front of you. In some cars it may have a flat bottom but generally it is round. When you turn this to the right the car goes to the right, the more you turn it the more right you go. If you turn this to the left then the car goes to the left and the more left you turn the wheel the sharper it turns!

Horn is used to make the car expel a very loud noise. It is a great way to tell people you are outside their house and it can also be used apperently to warn other drivers you are coming.:lol:

The steering wheel is the round thing in front of you. In some cars it may have a flat bottom but generally it is round. When you turn this to the right the car goes to the right, the more you turn it the more right you go.

remember its the opposite way in reverse apart from that looks good

Not bad, it's more a description of each control's function and usage rather than how to drive.

Can I write one entitled 'How To Look And Think For Yourself?' ;)

Purely for the benefit of all those w.....s round this 'ere who think 55mph on loose snow is even remotely sensible and that the big clear thing in front of the driver serves no particular purpose.

In what way have you been terrible?
:confused: Stall a lot like on average one per start. Really bad control of my feet that is to say I'm either foot down or not touching the throttle. Only 9 hours in though, instructor says they should smooth out with practise, I'm not so convinced :)

it does come with practise. if your stalling alot give it a little more revs. are you just practising with your instructor or out with the parents / family as well

Stalling is no big deal. It'll all fall into place on it's own whilst you're concentrating on other things.

Don't lie awake worrying - all will be fine

Hi, I have recently started doing my lessons (early January time) and have found the hardest part whilst driving is the clutch. I am however slowly getting the hang of it.
I can stop fine when I have to use the handbrake, I can find the bite point fairly easy; my main problem is when I have to stop for a brief moment i.e press the clutch down aswell as slowly press the brake till the car stops, then off the brake and onto the accelerator quickly find the bite and move off. I think thats right anyway.

Any tips on this manouvre would be appreciated.

Here in Bangalore, most of the Cab and auto rickshaw drivers drive with minimum clearance between other vehicles, continually blast away at the horn,change lanes without signalling, cut across your bows at random, run red lights when they think there are no policeman, park haphazardly, in short , every rule is broken, it is a real pain driving on our roads!