How to do an oil change

Driving the car onto blocks of wood also helps raise the car if required. I use a proper oil draining container, it has a sloped recess and drain hole that takes the oil into the container. Once the engine is empty the container can be removed and the hole plugged, ready to be emptied into an old oil can and ready for another job. Keeps the process clean enough.

Always a good thing to lay a flattened cardboard box under the car as some oil can travel once the drain plug has been removed!

Good points.

I think it's probably fair to say that most drivers burn their hands on the first time they do it? Did you?

Might be worth mentioning that on some cars the sumps are made of quite soft metal and it is easy to overtighten the sump plug, strip the thread and need a new sump.

Some cars such as Boras - I know cos I did this about 18 months ago. Doh. I've since got myself a cheapish torque wrench from Halfrauds, to avoid doing it again.

Also some people recommend filling the new filter with oil, to get the oil through it and into the engine as quickly as possible.

Good article otherwise.

It's not that the car requires it so much, it's because when you switch on your engine, it has to pump oil up to the top of the crankcase, to lubricate the valves and camshafts. If the filter is full the oil can get straight there. If it's not then there's a few seconds as the pump fills the filter where no oil is actually being pumped round the engine.

Just hand it to a local garage with your choice of oil, filter, flushing agent (if you use the stuff) and a drain plug.

Let them deal with all the mess. My local tyre place does this for me for a tenner.

Good value in the extreme.

Tbh I'm inclining to this point of view. oil changes are dirty, a ballache if you don't have a pit or a car ramp and then you have to take the old oil to the tip.

I have always wired the plug via a small hole drilled thru the plug to a small drilled hole thru the edge of the sump flange to ensure it never vibrates loose.
Yugguy is correct in recommending to fill the new filter as much as possible before fitting to get oil pressure ASAP.

PS when starting straight after the OC keep foot off the gas/throttle/accelerator pedal.

Last edited: