How to break in an engine for the best result

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Gone are the days when one tootled around at low revs and didn't load the motor much.
The only metal to metal contact in a motor is the rings to the bore/cylinder walls and that is what is needed to be broken in properly to get the best ring seal and maximum power.

If you are buying a new car or rebuilding your existing motor I recommend this method so make sure you read it all the way thru and get your mind around the why's and wherefores behind the method.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

There are quite a few different break in methods.

Just to warn people, I tried the drive it hard to break it in method, after some high torque low rev hill work for the first 2000 miles, on a refurbished engine and popped every oil seal on the engine! An expensive mistake. If those pistons are not bedded in properly then you'll be putting lots of stress on those oil seals.

Obi it's the rings that are getting bedded in to the bores for the best gas seal not the pistons.:)

Maybe the revs were too low???

Sorry wasn't clear at all there, I was using pistons as a whole including the rings! Sorry and thanks for the clarification.

It's possible the revs were too low but the leak happened at high RPM just off the red line, it's also possible that Rover just didn't make a decent engine or cheap parts were used in the reconditioning!

Different engines have very different needs. Motorbikes need to be driven hard from the start to bed in properly. Do this on a Diesel tractor engine and you'll probably have major issues!

Busuhur racing in the states who have built some of the fastest 4G63 powered Evos put them on a dyno and run it up to check for oil leaks and if all is ok start tuning for maximum power straight away . So no driving Miss Daisy for them.

Obi it is also the quality of the parts,machining,clearances and assembly that must go together for a great powerful long lasting motor.|B

PS my motor was torque plate honed before assembly was yours ?

https://www.comeracing.com/services/torque-plate-block-boring-and-honing

Last edited: