How much to spend on a car

admin

Administrator
Staff member
What is the most money you would be happy spending on a car?

Some people don't even look at the price and just go with the monthly repayment. Others set limits in their minds that they will just not go over and with others it depends on what car and how long they are planning to keep it.

Personally I can't see me ever paying more than £7000 for a car. The depreciation just scares me and I wouldn't be happy writing off more money than this in a car.

We won our VX220 when we bought a new printer a few years back, the printer cost £67 from P.C.World. The S-max cost £1.50 for the text when we won that from GMTV in a competition.
My GTO was the most expensive, i paid £1,750 for that about five years ago but it did need work.
Hard question really but i reckon anything over £3 is a rip off. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

i think the old cars are the best so i'm already aiming at the cheaper ones.
i'm still quite young in the motoring world so my boundry is around 2k. (i tend to spend more money on the car than the car itself). but im sure if i had the money i'd splash out

I had a mental limit of £10k, given I believe you can get pretty much every type of vehicle in a reasonable condition for £10k.... until I fell in love with the R36 and it all flew out of the window.

well all goes on how much my old car sells for

but now am running 2 cars so one is a 4x4 and have just bought anothe rone and would not spend more then 1k on it unless it has all the winches on it as it does get taken off road and smashed about

but my other yank toy about the 8-10k mark but all goes on what it is maybe might go more if i had the money i would go ofor a charger but they are about 50k

Really depends what it is. When i was originally buying the Scooby i was prepared to spend up to 14k for an STi but then managed to get the WRX at a relatively cheap price and so went for this. Am now looking at an FQ360 for the next car but havent seen much below about 23k so looks like this is what am going to have to fork out - but refuse to get any kind of finance. Will only buy something if cash is available.

I have a limit of 5k as I can only afford TPFT insurance at the moment, so if the worst happens i'm mentally prepared to walk away for 5k. However, i've found you can get near enough anything you want for this price if your willing to do the work / spend the aftermarket money on it.

However, as the guy with the R36 said, if you fall for a car all this goes all out of the window.

Probably a combined £20k give or take a few grand. I say combined because I need something suitable for travelling up and down the country regularily so if I want something more hardcore I have to have two cars.

However, after owning the Alfa GT for a bit I don't think I'd spend 9 or 10k on a work car or runabout again. Shoving blokes in and out of it all the time scuffed the interior, I was scared to put and dirty car parts etc in it, everytime you washed it there were new marks or chips from blasting up and down the motorway....with something that costs only a couple of grand I don't have to worry about all that.

What is the most money you would be happy spending on a car?

Some people don't even look at the price and just go with the monthly repayment. Others set limits in their minds that they will just not go over and with others it depends on what car and how long they are planning to keep it.

Personally I can't see me ever paying more than £7000 for a car. The depreciation just scares me and I wouldn't be happy writing off more money than this in a car.

I bought two older Jaguars, one is an 87 XJ6, the other is a 88 XJS and I paid $12,000 Canadian for them and spent $12,000 in repairs and restoration on them. I love older cars and would not buy a new car, I find older cars to be more exotic looking for a lack of a better word. I plan to spend about $5000. a year on my XJS until it is totally restored, and then I want to convert it to a manual transmission.