How much petrol money should you give

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Ive got some friends who always offer me money if we go out for petrol:shock:. I also have done a car share arrangement for people for work and some of those offer money when they cant reciprocate.:blink1:

What do you think the right amount is to give to a mate:?: I know the tax man allows something like 40p per mile but this seems a bit steep to give to a mate or would you measure the exact amount of fuel used and split it 2 ways.:-?

depending on the trip we normally split it down the middle. if we are just going to the store or something like that then no biggy. now if they need a ride and its out of my way then i would say a fair estimate of the fuel used plus a little extra for the inconvienence is fair. as far as a ride share goes then your getting into sticky part due to the frequency and the miles you are putting on your car that they aren't putting on thiers so they should kick in a little bit for the miles as well as thier share of the gas. of course everyone has a different oppinion of what is fair, thats just mine.

true but if you all mutually decide on a set amount per week or month extra, not precisely the exact operating cost since you are using it as well and the others that drive are doing the same, but a small amount extra that those not driving pitch in since they aren't taking the wear on thier vehicles as well. i would say no more than about 15% extra. but like i said, you should all decide as a group that way there is no debate later on.

we did something like that in the last place i lived. had a few buddies (3) that lived in my area and we all rode to work together. those that only had one vehicle and thier spouse needed it, or didn't have a vehicle at all. payed about 5% extra per week.

the way we figured gas was taking the gas milage of the vehicle being drove for the week and divided that into the total milage for going to and from work for the week. then we multiplied that by the cost of gas at a specific station and split it amoung us. like so

Total distance to and from work per week 100 mi
Gas price at station x (we all agreed on the same station for gas price)

Car A: 22 MPG (100/22)*$3.58=16.27/4=$4.06 per person w/vehicle *1.05=$4.27 per person w/out vehicle

not a big difference overall but it was fair for all.

attached is an excel document that will give you a rough estimate overall we used it for ours. you can change the periods depending on day drove and what not but it should help.

Attachments

• Ride Share.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 0
Thats a handy spreadsheet. Thanks for sharing that.

I usually just leave it up to the passengers to decide - if they are tight then they might find I don't have space in future. I can never bring myself to ask for petrol money:embarrest:

Or you could also look at it as the person who owns the car pays:
1. for the car itself
2. pays the taxes for the car
3. pays insurance for the car
4. keeps up the maintaince for the car

and with the other guys not having or not being able to drive theirs, they dont have this to pay. Who is really coming out the loser if he also has to pitch in on the fuel bill plus pay for these things?

thats why i said earlier that they should decide as a group. what ever everyone is comfortable with. now if its a person who flat refuses anything extra, let the bum walk is what i say, but then again that is me and every situation is different.

usually spilt it as well.
started car sharing at work as well as theres 2 of us that live in lockerbie less than a mile apart so take turns about.

i also get paid duty mileage for when i do things for cadets which is currently around 28.6 pence per mile.

Or you could also look at it as the person who owns the car pays:
1. for the car itself
2. pays the taxes for the car
3. pays insurance for the car
4. keeps up the maintaince for the car

and with the other guys not having or not being able to drive theirs, they dont have this to pay. Who is really coming out the loser if he also has to pitch in on the fuel bill plus pay for these things?

if you are going to add in all the costs for the vehicle for a ride share then you would have and use that vehicle solely for that purpose. Most people don't have a dedicated work ride, they use it for runs to the market or to go out at night, ect. so expecting the ride share members to pay for all the costs is a bit excessive in my mind.