How much do you intend on modifying your car?

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
Car
Insignia SRI.
How far do you plan to take the mods on your car?
My plan is to upgrade the suspension and brakes. Refurbish the wheels. Sort some bits of bodywork out. Upgrade some components in the engine i'm unsure as to what yet though. I plan on a full exhaust including manifold. I want to relocate the intercooler to the bottom of the front bumper. I am also going to put a custom stereo install in too. I'm not planning on a bodykit or anything either.
But what have you got planned for your car and how far do you think you'll go with the mods?????

Well, after fixing the brakes and getting it fully serviced, the shopping list is:

Upgrade the sound system
Momo Corse alloys
Upgrade & lower suspension
Performance exhaust
APC Rear Clusters
Angel-eye headlights
Retrim the interior

Job done. For now...

I can only do so much until it becomes economically unviable.

I have a list of parts yet to get including:
  • Janspeed manifolds.
  • Coilover suspension kit.
  • Bigger brakes.
  • Piper 270 cams & verniers.
  • Replacement ecu.
Things I am going to do:
  • Fit my stainless decat.
  • Fit my bucket seat and harness.
  • Pay for the nitrous and carry out the installation.
Things I would like to do but cannot justify the expense:
  • Single belt conversion.
  • Throttle bodies.
  • Piper 285 cams & verniers.
  • Custom ecu.
  • Set of 18" Kei Kruze alloys.
Things I would like to do but don't want to blow my engine up:
  • Supercharger-unreliable in its current form.
Things I would like to do but shouldn't:
  • Strip it out totally for track use!

How far do you plan to take the mods on your car?
My plan is to upgrade the suspension and brakes. Refurbish the wheels. Sort some bits of bodywork out. Upgrade some components in the engine i'm unsure as to what yet though. I plan on a full exhaust including manifold. I want to relocate the intercooler to the bottom of the front bumper. I am also going to put a custom stereo install in too. I'm not planning on a bodykit or anything either.
But what have you got planned for your car and how far do you think you'll go with the mods?????

Be careful with the repositioning of the intercooler. The longer the pipe runs the more air that needs to be shifted resulting in more turbo lag.

Be careful with the repositioning of the intercooler. The longer the pipe runs the more air that needs to be shifted resulting in more turbo lag.

Ok m8 thanks for the info. I want to up the boost a touch thats why I thought about moving it to aid the cooling with the extra boost....

Ok m8 thanks for the info. I want to up the boost a touch thats why I thought about moving it to aid the cooling with the extra boost....

Could be counter-productive. Might be better (and easier) to direct more air to the intercooler (eg duct air from the high pressure zone at the front of the car) and making sure that NO air can bypass it (seal all gaps around the edges) thereby using all of the available cooling.

Could be counter-productive. Might be better (and easier) to direct more air to the intercooler (eg duct air from the high pressure zone at the front of the car) and making sure that NO air can bypass it (seal all gaps around the edges) thereby using all of the available cooling.

I did think about this but there isn't alot of room an the intercooler sits right at the side of the rad. Plus there are loads of bits in front of the intercooler Ie bits of the bumper and front end structure. I just thought about moving it away from all that and giving it an open space. Like I say it's only a thought and your input is much appreciated mate thanks...:D

I did think about this but there isn't alot of room an the intercooler sits right at the side of the rad. Plus there are loads of bits in front of the intercooler Ie bits of the bumper and front end structure. I just thought about moving it away from all that and giving it an open space. Like I say it's only a thought and your input is much appreciated mate thanks...:D

Modifying a road car is always a collection of compromises :)

But also the challenge. If it is easy everyone will do it and where is the fun in following the herd? I love the challenge of finding solutions to difficult problems.

Yes there is that. I do enjoy a good problem. But this 1 is doing my head in. If I leave the intercooler where it is then i'm gonna end up cutting everything away infront of it lol

Yes there is that. I do enjoy a good problem. But this 1 is doing my head in. If I leave the intercooler where it is then i'm gonna end up cutting everything away infront of it lol

How about upping the boost with IC in original location? Check temps before and after mod to see if IC is coping. If not, then look at ways of increasing cooling.

Or, fit a better (more efficient) IC in original location.

How about upping the boost with IC in original location? Check temps before and after mod to see if IC is coping. If not, then look at ways of increasing cooling.

Or, fit a better (more efficient) IC in original location.

I only want to move it cause i've read that the intercooler on these get hot and the turbo gets hotter when the boost is increased. I'll get a pic of it later but it is sat right next to the radiator which can't be helping it?