How much carbon fibre is too much

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I saw a car at the weekend that had a carbon bonnet, wings and tailgate. It looked a bit odd as the rest of the car was standard metal and it all looked a bit patchwork.

I think it would have looked better if the carbon fibre had been painted to match the rest of the car?

What are your thoughts on Random carbon fibre panels?

I saw a car at the weekend that had a carbon bonnet, wings and tailgate. It looked a bit odd as the rest of the car was standard metal and it all looked a bit patchwork.

I think it would have looked better if the carbon fibre had been painted to match the rest of the car?

What are your thoughts on Random carbon fibre panels?

Again, I do not understand the question in the thread title :)

To most boy racers, painting would be daft as what would be the point of fitting CF panels if no one knows they are there?

The only reason for CF, IMO, is to reduce weight. However, most of it is fitted for show, even if they say different :)

:lol: Thought you get in that one!

I think it loses its cosmetic only appeal when you start having patches of cf. TBH I'm not a big fan of the 100% carbon fibre Zonda F either. Carbon looks better when painted IMHO.

:lol: Thought you get in that one!
Carbon looks better when painted IMHO.

Don't like to disappoint :)

Interesting statement - How do you know it looks better if you can't see that it's CF? :) Or do you mean a car looks better without the CF showing (I'm with you there)?

Me? Picky? Never.

I think Carbon Fibre looks abit stupid on certian cars, as there is a Skyline down the road with a Carbon bonnet and it doesn't suit it.

He told me he paid £800 for it which I think is far to much! Although there is a company, www.perkinsautomotive.co.uk, that will "Carbon Wrap" certian parts of your car, and although it is £500, it's still alot cheaper than buying the whole bonnet.

Tell me if I'm thinking of this in the wrong way and it is actually Carbon Fibre just poor quality, cheap stuff.

Ask OG how much he's spend on CF. dont think hes mentioned how much hes spent yet but might give you some prices for his parts

Unfortunately, the prices of my parts will bear no relation to mass produced parts. Mine are unique panels using my existing panels as the moulds. This produces CF panels slightly bigger than the orignals but this isn't a problem on the Elan. I also have a good relationship with my supplier, which helps :)

My boot cost £150 and the bonnet £260 (but I supplied the CF for this). Doors are being made.

If you require panels that are not 'off the shelf' expect to pay many hundreds of pounds for a good quality, light, item as a mould has to be made and this costs almost as much as the new panel itself.

Who's your supplier OG? Is it that carbonweasil fellow I recall some mention of?

Those are very good prices all considered. See if he'll give a rough price for a Mk1 Punto replacement roof skin; supply CF, make mould and skin? Cheers :bigsmile:

I think that if you're gonna have carbon fiber, make all the parts/panels carbon fiber. Either have all carbon fiber, or have none. Just having part- carbon fiber looks odd. IMO

I think CF should be the last stage in lightening your car, although I'm in the process of making a CF strut brace, but thats because fiberglass wont be rigid enough.

Last edited:
I think that a carbon fibre bonnet looks good with certain colours, like red or white, blue is a bit iffy and silver is a no no, how ever carbon fibre'd body parts other than the bonnet is a bit much, maybe a spoiler on certain cars and thats about it,

and indeed: OG who is your CF supplier?