How mechanically skilled are you

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Are you a competent mechanic or do you just dabble a little.

Are you handy with a wrench and muddle through or would you class yourself as as professional mechanic?

I have changed head gaskets,clutches, turbos, manifolds, injectors, drive shafts and fitted larger fuel pumps,changed oils and filters ,installed new discs and pads and bled brakes.

Wouldn't call myself anything more than a knowledgeable enthusiast.

Not a pro as not done every job. Not stripped or rebuilt a gearbox yet, got one that needs doing. Self taught mostly but in my younger days learnt from older friends/family. Stripped and rebuilt engines, super bikes too. Machined pistons and cylinder heads (time served toolmaker by trade). Shoehorned V8s into a Chevette and a Bedford CF350. Built oval racers. However as I get older there are jobs I do not enjoy like I used to!

Most people have Learned from others if a interest of how things work is in their curiosity. From a young age on my dad's farm I was asking what,why,how and annoying the *#*#*#*# out of him about farm machinery and it's workings. Had 2 older crazy brothers that car's and bike's were always being worked on and modified. I even had a bike myself at 6 and stripped down engine when crankshaft bearing went. When I left school I became a Mechanical Engineer. My second oldest brother became a Diesel Mechanic repairing lorries and my older brother became a Welder and is one of the best Metallurgical Welding consultant in Europe. So we all can repair cars even if we're not qualified Mechanics. We all still learn if interests are still making you curious enough!

Way back in the good old days I also sandblast cleaned and gaped spark plugs,installed and gaped distributor points.and greased the suspension and king pins and fitted sway bars to many of the various cars I owned.

Just remembered that I made a set of 4/2/1 exhaust headers for my Hillman Minx that we went away in on our honeymoon.<B 55 years ago |B

Last edited:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back