Torque Cars

How mechanically skilled are you

Discussion in 'General car Chat' started by obi_waynne, 8 January 2019.

1. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Are you a competent mechanic or do you just dabble a little.

Are you handy with a wrench and muddle through or would you class yourself as as professional mechanic?

2. Lunchmoney

Lunchmoney The Torque Meister

Poole, UK
    Car:
    '98 JDM Impreza STI
    What's a wrench? :lol:

obi_waynne likes this.
  3. Lunchmoney

Lunchmoney The Torque Meister

Poole, UK
    Car:
    '98 JDM Impreza STI
    I know a lot of theory, but the practical eludes me.

4. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    Lunchy I hope you know the difference between a wrench and a wench or you could end up in strife with the wifelet .V(:rofl:

obi_waynne likes this.
  5. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    I have changed head gaskets,clutches, turbos, manifolds, injectors, drive shafts and fitted larger fuel pumps,changed oils and filters ,installed new discs and pads and bled brakes.

Wouldn't call myself anything more than a knowledgeable enthusiast.

obi_waynne and Lunchmoney like this.
  6. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    I think most of us are probably in that camp @stamford

7. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    The more you learn the more you realise there is to learn.

8. stamford

stamford Pro Tuner

Hampshire
    Car:
    MG ZS200
    Not a pro as not done every job. Not stripped or rebuilt a gearbox yet, got one that needs doing. Self taught mostly but in my younger days learnt from older friends/family. Stripped and rebuilt engines, super bikes too. Machined pistons and cylinder heads (time served toolmaker by trade). Shoehorned V8s into a Chevette and a Bedford CF350. Built oval racers. However as I get older there are jobs I do not enjoy like I used to!

TCJBOLDIE likes this.
  9. TAZ67

TAZ67 Full member

Scotland
    Car:
    Vauxhall Astra mk4
    Most people have Learned from others if a interest of how things work is in their curiosity. From a young age on my dad's farm I was asking what,why,how and annoying the *#*#*#*# out of him about farm machinery and it's workings. Had 2 older crazy brothers that car's and bike's were always being worked on and modified. I even had a bike myself at 6 and stripped down engine when crankshaft bearing went. When I left school I became a Mechanical Engineer. My second oldest brother became a Diesel Mechanic repairing lorries and my older brother became a Welder and is one of the best Metallurgical Welding consultant in Europe. So we all can repair cars even if we're not qualified Mechanics. We all still learn if interests are still making you curious enough!

TCJBOLDIE likes this.
  10. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    Way back in the good old days I also sandblast cleaned and gaped spark plugs,installed and gaped distributor points.and greased the suspension and king pins and fitted sway bars to many of the various cars I owned.

Just remembered that I made a set of 4/2/1 exhaust headers for my Hillman Minx that we went away in on our honeymoon.<B 55 years ago |B

Last edited: 28 March 2019