How many driving test attempts did you make

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Some people pass their test first time (and usually have an accident within 6 months.)

Others seem to take years and have lots of failed tests.

How many driving tests did you take?

I passed motorcycle test first time in 1982 and car test first time in 1983.
Had one and only accident in 2001 when i rearended a transit in a volvo 460.
Never had a bike accident but gave up bikes about 15 years ago.

Passed second time. Apparently I was not obvious enough when checking mirrors the first time.
Second time I must have looked like a nutter the amount I was looking around :)

I passed first time in 1980 back then the waiting time for a test was a long time,so i kept having lessons i think i had about 40 lessons so was well practised for test,i was,nt on the test very long when i got told to go back to the centre,i thought i had done something bad,we went back,the examiner said i ve seen enough youve passed! i have had one accident and that was when someone went into me in a country lane when i was waiting to let them through he slid on mud and hit driver side wing on the works van oooops!!! so done well in my years as a driver,not a ditherey driver just observant and consentrate,and watch whats going on in the distance and not just whats happenning at the end of my bonnet.

6th time for my theory I think...

1st time for my practical and 3 months later, I pulled out at a round a bout and a few seconds later a lady drove into me as she was in the wrong lane. She then went on to claim and bare in mind 2 months later would have been xmas... So ofcourse she claimed for everything under then sun!

Bike, first time. It was so easy back then.
Car, second time, that was sad, first one was the morning after my birthday.
HGV 3, first time.
HGV 1, first time.

Second time for me back in 1983. The first time I was good or so I thought but got a failure. Second time I thought I was poor so just drove the remainder to get it out of the way and he passed me! Chief examiner as well.

The wife took 2 attempts on the theory and 5 attempts on the practical and my three daughters all passed first time on both.

yer banned 37 years ago for 6 months for out running a cop on my yam 650 not a good idea 17 years old and stupid good old judge thought good idea for me to retake my tests just inconvience then bit more too it these days tho

Learnt from the best then mate!

Funny thing is I helped my three girls a little at the start then passed them to a proper instructor to hone their skills and do it the right way for the test.

With the wife I tried the same route and gave up after two carpark lessons as she was a nervous wreck and though it better for the sake of our marriage I steer well clear of teaching her! ;)

I'm 23, got my license my first try at age 19, and my only accident ever was in a parking lot a year ago when I misjudged the size of my Dad's truck and sideswiped a Volkswagen Golf Cabrio.

I'm 23, got my license my first try at age 19, and my only accident ever was in a parking lot a year ago when I misjudged the size of my Dad's truck and sideswiped a Volkswagen Golf Cabrio.

Do you have a proper licence or one that only alowes you to drive auto's? I know a lot of septics strugle to get insured over here due to taking there tests with auto cars.

Do you have a proper licence or one that only alowes you to drive auto's? I know a lot of septics strugle to get insured over here due to taking there tests with auto cars.

They removed licenses differentiating auto only drivers from manual drivers years ago. I took my test in a 2006 Nissan Maxima with a 3.5L V6 and a 5 speed automatic, and I daily drive a 5 speed manual Saturn now. I've had no problems.

Yes I did. That Nissan was great for the test. Put it in reverse and the passenger side mirror automatically turned downward. Made doing the parallel parking on the test a breeze.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egb87--XV5E
Ours was an SL that had EVERYTHING except the navigation system. It was a nice car, but a bit dull to drive and the V6 droned horribly.

It was also near impossible to find a manual to take my test with. Only 6% of all cars on the road in America have manuals.

Last edited:
:blink: Can they make the test any easyer!!??

You act like they provided the car for me. No. It was my father's car. And I personally think I should've failed, but I've been told by MANY people I'm among the best driver's they know. I would definitely be open to more driver training. There's only so much you can teach yourself and the test is remarkably easy (I still have no idea how my ex-friend Tara failed 3 times). I take driving seriously. It's a privilege, not a right, even if having a car and a license seems to be mandatory where I live in the suburbs.

What I want to do is go to Germany or Finland and pass their test. (I learned about how strict their tests are from my father, who was in the US army stationed in Germany in the late 70's.)

Passed 1st time theory, hazard & practical. Had an accident within about 8 months.

I learned to pass a predefined test. Not how to handle a car, not how be good & safe in traffic. All that stuff comes later, which is the problem I have with the current test.

Wheel shuffling for example...

Something that was quite common at the time to earn a bit of bear money ;)

Quick one for you Claymore, little off subject.

Just changed my turbo on my S40 1.9D. The oil feed in pipe to the tubo has a reducer from 16mm to 3/8ths. From there, there is a pipe that comes from the engine. As I was doing up the pipe, the bolt jumped and I threaded the alloy. I tried to clean up the thread, but after putting it back together it leaked badly.

I have ordered a new reducer, do you think I may have damaged the oil pipe with the nipple as well?

Ta mate