How low should i go

j3ffy

Car
astra mk5 16i club
Bought induction kit for my astra and have just bought a stainless exhaust, but it handel's like a ship in a storm. But need to lower it now!
I was thinking of going 40mm with poly bushes and bump stops and strut brace with 16s on 195 is this a good set up.

That's perfectly fine. Ideally you want a full suspension kit rather than just springs so either coilovers or just new shocks too.

Oh, and if you're not going mad on the car I wouldn't bother with polybushes tbh, they're very expensive vs. normal bushes and the money is probably better spent else where (ie put towards a decent set of collies).

THANKS what do you recomend ?
I had jamex on my last car and they were great,but cant find them any more have they changed name ?
what set up would you recomend m8.

Jamex are still around, but if you thought they were good you'll be well impressed by some decent suspension. For the money I absolutely recommend Spax RSX. If you're feeling like you want to splash out though KW Varient 2's are absolutely excellent, as are XYZ. All are coilovers fully adjustable in both ride height and damping.

Not sure about the Mk5 Astra but generally speaking Vauxhall seem to make strong enough chassis, so I reckon you'll be okay with just a front strut brace.

You want lightweight wheels too, the lighter the better. Heavy wheels will slow you down. Most importantly, a decent set of tyres. Goodyear Eagle F1's are excellent all-round tyres with a modest price.

When you've done whatever you have to do, take it to a garage and have the geometry set up properly (eg tracking) so all four tyres are flat on the ground. Normally when lowering the car tens to gain negative camber slightly, resulting in poorer traction and the insides of the tyres wearing more quickly.

i say save yourself some money and cut the springs :D
if this is done correctly it can work really well. give it a try and if it doesn't work just buy the suspension kit.
its a win win situation lol

:eek: I really don't like the idea of cutting springs. The whole tension and strength of a modern spring is carefully calculated. When part of the sprng is missing you dramatically alter the amount of stress and flex in the whole spring. This may work on really old cars with simple springs but in recent times you risk snapping what is left of the spring or at least will compromise the ride quality of the car.

Last edited:
If you go for AP Coilovers, you get the bumpstops included, they're about £350 for a set. Not tried 'em myself but the VeeDub boys and the Fast Car crew are raving about them. They came out well in the Fast Car Awards this year. Venom Motorsport are slinging them. Coilovers for spring and damper money.

i know the ride quality can be compromised but if this is done correctly it can be a great, almost free lowering technique. at least if j3ffy tries this and decides it isn't great or it didnt turn out well he hasn't lost any money. and since he is intending on getting a lowering kit anyway he could get it if this fails.
worth a try in my opinion

Anyone who cuts their springs need to be fully aware of the risks involved. I would not be happy recommending this as a mod myself - but I know that people still do this.

Don't listen to that numpty and cut your springs boss. Sounds like something a Vauxhall owner would suggest.

And Fast Car awards? Since when did they actually know eff all about tuning cars? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
i would not cut those springs! springs have what is called a poundage rating, which basically means what weight they are desighned to take, if your cutting it down, then its like asking that spring to take the same weight, and be under that much stress with a chunk of its structure missing, which can be dangerous, also cut springs usually dont sit in the coupling properly!
cutting the springs will not really make the car handel much better, granted it will give a lowered look, but if your looking to make the car go better round corners then i would do it properly, if your on a tight budget i would say get lowering springs and match them with new shocks, if you can strectch to it get a full kit as this will give you the best result. i no its tempting to cut springs as it is a free mod but i would not recomend it as i dont think its worth it.:cool:

wel i no ur rite but al im saying is that j3ffy is getting a lowering kit anyway so it could b fun just 2 give it a try. maybe even buy the lowering kit and then cut the springs. take the car for a cruise and every1 will think ur amazin and take it home and fit the lowering kit lol just for fun lyk.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back