How low is too low for the MOT

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How much of a suspension drop would you say is too low? Are there any MOT regulations on how low a car can be before it will fail an MOT test?

Never gave that a thought when I had the coil overs fitted tbh :embarrest: Never failed an MOT to date so all must be OK :amuse:

I would guess that as long as it fits on the brake rollers you will be OK. However, even that can be got around as MOT stations use on board meters for permanent 4WD vehicles that can't be tested on a single roller system.

Talk to your local station. Normally, as they don't measure ride height, the tester will not have an issue unless safety is compromised, like running on or very near bump stops, tyres rubbing on bodywork or suspension parts, etc.

It's a fail if the springs aren't held in correctly. A lot of the stance boys remove the helper springs and because of how low they run the coilovers it can cause the spring to 'pop out'.

hi there couple of things regarding mot first you may have to find a mot station that uses a pit and make sure your tyres dont rub on any part of car

If the wheels/tyres rub on full lock or before then they may fail it. Then again some coilover kits do not have brake pipe mounts and this can cause problems come MOT time as some people cable tie them, not good practice. My MG just manages the rollers as it is around 55mm lower than standard but doesn't rub or cause problems come MOT time. I've seen alot lower and still passed.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back