How low DARE you go?

Olley

Track Warrior
Car
E30 touring 325i
i was going to make this about how low your suspension is... hence this pic
be9159e4.jpg

but i thought it would be a good title for a thread about how low you let your fuel gauge go before you give in and empty your wallet/purse at the pumps?

i let mine go to the point where it is running on fumes. fuel light been on for a good 25 30 miles before i go fill up, and even then i'll only put a fiver or tenner in!

so, how low dare you go?

I HATE going to fuel stations so I also leave it as late as possible, only been caught out a few times in 40 years :)

Once, driving down Shooters Hill in Eltham, I ran out of fuel but managed to roll into the station at the bottom of the hill. That won't happen again, next time it will be a busy junction.

Suspension wise my Civic was lowered 110mm, my BMW will go down a similar route. In regards to my petrol tank I usually fill back up once I go below a 1/4.

Looks like this thread has reached a new low! :lol:

Suspension wise, we have too many speed bumps to warrent any drop. My car is about as low as i'd want anyway on the standard setup.

Fuel wise I wait till the light comes on. This means I have enough fuel to get me to Canterbury where the fuel is 5-7p a litre cheaper!

My question is, how many people are stood in the boot of that Mondeo to get it to sit so low?:lol:

I normally leave it until the light comes on as well, so not to carry too much weight I only put half a tank back in it.

I want my accord to sit like that but I also want the tyres to stay the same shape :lol:

Last edited:
Suspension wise it could probably do with lowering another 10mm or so! Fuel? never ever below a 1/4 of a tank and if i'm venturing onto the motorway! never less than 3/4's.

It would normally sit about half inch to an inch higher, but i put bigger wheels on it. (to cope with speed bumps!) but it is now off the road awaiting a decision as to what to do with it...

Tank wise I never stoop lower than 1/4 'coz m called out at all odd hours.

Suspension wise I have a clearance of 130mm on my Zen, if that means anything here, but I have to maintain that due to the road conditions.

My SX4 sits higher still, but I will get to it in time.

suspension just enough so the wheels and arches have a small gap the same size all the way down, dont like it when it they tuck up and under the arch

petrol wise usually wait till my light comes on

usually i wait till light comes on and then fill up on next day... and nearly every time i bite my nails and hope, that my car wont cut off on me.. :D

as soon as the light comes on.i always think its sucking all the crap at the bottom of the tank up when the petrol is low.i like to see cars with the wheels up in the arches but its not practical with our crap potholed roads.

I really like the straight dropped cars, but the potholes, dips, and speedbumps are a serious problem, so if i ever lowered my car i would put airbags on it for those situations.
As far as the fuel goes, i try to keep it above 1/4 of a tank, because i dont want my fuel filter to get clogged and ruin my engine by sucking up all kinds of debris.

I really like the straight dropped cars, but the potholes, dips, and speedbumps are a serious problem, so if i ever lowered my car i would put airbags on it for those situations.

But you don't get the same performance increase with air bags as you do with coilovers. Surely the performance is more important?

But you don't get the same performance increase with air bags as you do with coilovers. Surely the performance is more important?

You got a good point, performance in always top on the list, but where i live it would be inpracticle for a daily driver, so thats why i would need a raising mechanism of some sort.The dips and holes are pretty ridiculouse

You got a good point, performance in always top on the list, but where i live it would be inpracticle for a daily driver, so thats why i would need a raising mechanism of some sort.The dips and holes are pretty ridiculouse

I tend to drive around pot holes, so they must be bad around you. What about adjustable coilovers? Or a less harsh shock and spring setup?

im sure KW have a half and half system. they are coilovers but can lift themselves up 40mm to clear speed bumps etc

Is this similar to the Lamborghini system where with a push of the button; the car can be raised to assist with the clearance of speed bumps to protect the precious front spoiler - lower wing - bottom mounted aerofoil? OG what is the correct term for this item please before I get told off again! :lol:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back