How is your current modifying cars budget

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Are you cutting down your modifying your car budget or is this a priority that will always get funding when you are in a tight squeeze?

Things are pretty tight for me, I've been poorly for quite a long time so work has suffered, I've got family who are ill and need looking after so for me spending money on modding my car is simply not going to happen.

Things are tight as I am still trying to sell my flat and then buy a house. We're very reluctant to spend anything big in case it's needed for quick sale & move.

Things are pretty tight here as well so it's only essential spending on my car at the moment.

I need about 12k, but just started, just ordered forged conrods, just started to remove the engine, then it's sending a piston and conrods away to design a set of forged pistons, lots of play time coming

Attachments

• 20171205_140519.jpg
    20171205_140519.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 2
Found pistons 4 U :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/322545449290?rt=nc

There should be plenty of forged rods you just need to do a search of say Eagle,K1 ,Spool etc as I am sure that off the shelf forged rods are available so no need for custom parts IMO

FYI I have had Wiseco pistons and Eagle rods in my 350+hp @ the tyres for over 5 years in my track car and would buy again if needed

Last edited:
You would think so, but because the duratec 30 is now over 10 years old, performance parts are no longer made, ive made teens of phone calls, theres only a few sets of k1 rods hanging about left, after that it's custom made. Wisco and all the other piston manufactures stopped making them but none of them have removed them from the websites.
It's a challenge but i wouldnt have it any other way

Found pistons 4 U :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/322545449290?rt=nc

There should be plenty of forged rods you just need to do a search of say Eagle,K1 ,Spool etc as I am sure that off the shelf forged rods are available so no need for custom parts IMO

FYI I have had Wiseco pistons and Eagle rods in my 350+hp @ the tyres for over 5 years in my track car and would buy again if needed
The eBay thread is for a 2.5L at 83mm but the ST220 is 89mm at a compression ratio of 8:5:1, I've contacted him and it's old stock.

You may be able to mix and match parts to suit if nothing is available specifically for your engine.

Is there a Ford/Mazda car club forum that you can search to see if parts are available ??

FYI my 4G63 is even older than your Duratec and there is heaps of aftermarket parts available.

Last edited:
You may be able to mix and match parts to suit if nothing is available specifically for your engine.

Is there a Ford/Mazda car club forum that you can search to see if parts are available ??

FYI my 4G63 is even older than your Duratec and there is heaps of aftermarket parts available.
Ive spent 14 months researching all options and found the duratec 30 has very little in upgrades and compatability with other engines, the only people that has almost done it is noble but even they admit it' not perfect.

As a last resort may I suggest that you persevere and send the specs /dimensions of the rods ie the length,crank bearing size and width and the piston pin diameter .The pin size can be changed easily to suit the piston pin or the reverse.

Do the same with the pistons and you may be surprised .

For example my pistons are stroker pistons with the pins positioned 1/2 of the stroke increase closer to the crown/top.

Here are your rods :)
http://www.campbellenterprises.com/...ts/v6-duratec-rods-3.0-duratec-conrods-k1.php

Last edited:
I've ordered the rods, found some k1's in germany, but the pistons will need to be ordered specially due to the heat created.
I could do with finding some oil jets from a NASCAR V8, they work great under the pistons

My projects must continue. It's how I maintain my sanity. Funds are definitely tight due to the state of the world but I manage. Most labor I do myself so I keep myself busy. At the moment I do have parts to order but that will have to wait.

Are you cutting down your modifying your car budget or is this a priority that will always get funding when you are in a tight squeeze?

Things are pretty tight for me, I've been poorly for quite a long time so work has suffered, I've got family who are ill and need looking after so for me spending money on modding my car is simply not going to happen.
I to am a disabled family, well me and Mrs Bates. Have been for 21 years now, so finding serious money now is extremely difficult so you are not alone here.

I have a bit saved, but prioritising is essential, and "super modding" is not really an option anymore, just a hope.

Chins up. We do what we can, when we can. And if anyone needs to confidentially off load or talk stuff through, my councilling head is always available, just private message me.

I'm a struggling young man working in a tough a demanding field so between trying to achieve my studies and living at least it's real hard in these days
I do feel all of you, have been planning a project for a while now with no action taken yet... :(