How high is your head rest

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Did you know that your headrest should be pretty high? If the centre of the headrest is lined up with your ears you are about right, if it is too low it will actually do more harm than good in certain types of colission.

So where are your headrests set to? Do you have rear headrests? (I pulled out my middle one as it never got used and was in the way.)

Ive got the drivers one up high enough and in the correct place. The rear ones are down as low as possible. cant see out back otherwise. Let em get whiplash

My instructure said it should line up with your ears :) So thats what I'm doing atm, should it be different?

Mines up high too, I've seen the video's of the crash test dummies when the car is hit from the rear & the back of the dummies head rolls over the top of the (low) head rest. :blink:

Did you know that your headrest should be pretty high? If the centre of the headrest is lined up with your ears you are about right, if it is too low it will actually do more harm than good in certain types of colission.

So where are your headrests set to? Do you have rear headrests? (I pulled out my middle one as it never got used and was in the way.)

Didn't know that, thanks

My front headrests are as low as they go, but the seats are particularly tall. This makes my head about in the right position.

Rears as low as possible, get in the way otherwise while reversing. I still can't believe not many manufacturers are doing what Mercedes where doing back when my mum had her V reg C class.. fitting a button on the dash to drop the rear rests behind the seats.

mine are part of the seat, all 1 unit
their pretty high, so i dont need to worry.

why dont manufactors come up with something similar to the hans device,
you know that thing racing drivers have attached to the back of their helmets

the head rest is important to stop your head from going to far back, but whats there for the second you have impact

mine are part of the seat, all 1 unit
their pretty high, so i dont need to worry.

why dont manufactors come up with something similar to the hans device,
you know that thing racing drivers have attached to the back of their helmets

the head rest is important to stop your head from going to far back, but whats there for the second you have impact

A bundle of airbags?

FWIW when I was instructing we advised that the top of the HR should be at least level with the top of ones head.

It is not really a" head rest" but a head restraint to help prevent/minimise whiplash injury in a crash.

I had better give mine a tweak later then, I had them removed when the T9 logo was stitched into them so they do need re-adjusting ;)