How do you turn your car off?

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Yeah, I know, with the key or fob :)

Quite a few people blip the throttle just before turning the engine off.

Do you do this? If so, why?

I let mine sit on idle for a minute or two before I switch it off, it helps to preserve the life of the turbo.

The blip used to be recommended in older cars with cr@p oil pumps to leave a bit of oil in the top end. Dunno if you need to bother these days.

I let mine sit on idle for a minute or two before I switch it off, it helps to preserve the life of the turbo.

:amuse: I have a turbo timer on mine for that reason!

I tend to pull up, hand break on (I always used to leave it in gear but cant on my evo as the turbo timer will kick in and launch the car forward), keys out, and if the engine is still running lock the car on the cars lock, if it isn't then lock it on the cobra.

The blip used to be recommended in older cars with cr@p oil pumps to leave a bit of oil in the top end. Dunno if you need to bother these days.

I've always given my cars a little blip before switching it off, I honestly don't know why. It was something my Dad used to do with his old cars which is why I think Yugguy is onto something cause if the old man knew nothing else, he knew his cars.

:amuse: I have a turbo timer on mine for that reason!

I tend to pull up, hand break on (I always used to leave it in gear but cant on my evo as the turbo timer will kick in and launch the car forward), keys out, and if the engine is still running lock the car on the cars lock, if it isn't then lock it on the cobra.

Not aware of any turbo timer on the old girl! A car boffin at Silverstone told me to do this, so who am I to dispute it? ;)

Not aware of any turbo timer on the old girl! A car boffin at Silverstone told me to do this, so who am I to dispute it? ;)

its usually after hard use, the turbo needs to left to idle and let oil get round it something to prolong the bearing and turbo life, im not sure about the ins and outs, but i would say an turbo timer, or at least let it idle a while is a must for any turbo car, turbo timer is safer as you cant phsyically not let it do it

as for a N.A car i tend to just turn mine off, with the key :p unless there be some pretty ladies present where i may blip it lightly, and then that usually results in a glance of disgust or they just laugh :lol:

take it easy from when i enter the town, and let it idle while a quick glance at the temp gauge, if its above 200F then it get idle until it drops below otherwise jsut a few seconds.

Oil temperature gauge is useful in turbocharged cars for this reason.

The blip before shutdown also helped to get some petrol vapour into at least one cylinder to assist the next startup. Totally pointless on modern cars.

It's also used in film theatre as the classic engine switch-off sound - for some reason that's what we expect to hear and directors know this.

Oil temperature gauge is useful in turbocharged cars for this reason.

The blip before shutdown also helped to get some petrol vapour into at least one cylinder to assist the next startup. Totally pointless on modern cars.

It's also used in film theatre as the classic engine switch-off sound - for some reason that's what we expect to hear and directors know this.

That's the same as the frog sound - 'Rib-it' - used in almost all films requiring a frog noise. Universal (I think) required a frog sound effect so the technicians went out to the back lot and recorded the Baja California Treefrog there. These frogs, along with the Sierran Treefrog and the Northern Pacific Treefrog, are the only ones that make the rib-it sound, but their call is heard in films not even set in North America :)

That's the same as the frog sound - 'Rib-it' - used in almost all films requiring a frog noise. Universal (I think) required a frog sound effect so the technicians went out to the back lot and recorded the Baja California Treefrog there. These frogs, along with the Sierran Treefrog and the Northern Pacific Treefrog, are the only ones that make the rib-it sound, but their call is heard in films not even set in North America :)

Honestly, the bits of trivia that are stored away in that head of yours is amazing OG :lol:

When you have been around for as long as I have some stuff is bound to stick :)

some insurers wont touch them cause they bypass the imobiliser;)

The cobra installed on my baby will cut the whole thing out exactly 3 min after the keys are taken out. Even if you are able to get the turbo timer about 3 min. :amuse:

Im not sure about the manufacture imobiliser? Ill have to find out. :confused:

Usually whith turbo timers they work with the alarm and imobiliser.
So like bbj says it will cut the engine after a set time. Some will also lock the car up after as well.
But even with the turbo timer running you can still lock the car so it's not gonna go anywhere anyway.

Usually whith turbo timers they work with the alarm and imobiliser.
So like bbj says it will cut the engine after a set time. Some will also lock the car up after as well.
But even with the turbo timer running you can still lock the car so it's not gonna go anywhere anyway.

You need to be a little careful if leaving the car running on a highway. The law states that a car should not be left unattended on a highway if the engine is running. People have been nicked for doing this when warming up the engine on a cold day.

Not sure what the definition of 'unattended' is though. How far away from the car would you have to be? I guess indoors would count, but sitting outside a pub with car in plain view?