How do you stay cool in summer whilst driving

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Are you an airconditioning user or do you prefer to wind down the window?

Are you one of those drivers who spends the whole summer with an arm out of the car window?

....an arm out of the car window?
Cant hold the steering properly doing that ;)

Depends. If I get into the car after work and it's an oven I'll run the AC for a few minutes to cool everything down rapidly, then windows open :)

Got to be AC if stuck in traffic or moving at slow speeds. As long as you're getting the pedal down windows open will normally do the trick

Naughty naughty Obi San arm outside the car dangerous and an offense over here.\B

Air con on windows closed is the safest way to go|B

I never do it @TCJBOLDIE and I didn't realise it was an offence over there.

We have loads of people doing it here! I guess the argument is you are not in full control of your vehicle if you are just using one arm?

Obi plus there have been incidences where drivers /passengers have lost an arm in crashes.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2003-03-05/qas-urges-drivers-to-keep-arms-inside/1224648
Here are some examples that quote some little known laws.
https://www.youi.com.au/youi-news/driving-offences-you-didnt-know-about

I recommend windows closed and air con on as that is not only safest as it helps keep everything inside the car and also gives better fuel economy than driving windows open which creates more drag.

Closed race cars require window nets and some drivers even have arm restraints to help protect their arms in the event of a crash.

Last edited:
Not dissing your results :) but was only repeating what was considered the most economical method of driving that was the norm for economy run competitors many long years ago I guess that they toughened up and sweated with the AC off:eek: