How do you reattach trim

Aerial Andy944

The Torque Meister
Car
VW Golf GT TDi 200
So I've bought a used rear hatch with a Turbo S spoiler off Ebay and will do a straight swap with my existing hatch which has the old eighties rubber spoiler on. Some of the trim pieces were coming adrift around the edge so have removed them and cleaned off the framework back to clean metal. So question is, having never done any bodywork before, what do you use to reattach the fibreglass parts to the hatch frame? Is there a sealing rubber strip you can buy that sticks and seals at the same time or do you use just a silicone sealent:confused:
This is what it looks like and the two white arms that go up the sides of the hatch and the white strip under the spoiler were loose and coming off.

!BU-k-Hw!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKjEEjlLm(s8hBKQOtiJQ9g~~_1.JPG
!BU-lH8wCGk~$(KGrHgoOKjkEjlLm,8SUBKQOuIEEqw~~_1.JPG

Also any ideas on what I can use to remake the electrical connections for the demister elements on each side. The male spade connections are snapped off (this hatch coming off a race car) so can you buy universal replacement connections?

Andy

i have added a few spoilers over the years to various cars and all have been screwed/bolted on (and i have added a little silicone around the screws/bolts) but for the areas that arent screwed down i have either used velcro (from halfords) or tiger seal

you can get the crimp on terminal connections just about anywhere.

herb did you not have some sort or sealant that you used for the mesh ?

you can get the crimp on terminal connections just about anywhere.

herb did you not have some sort or sealant that you used for the mesh ?
in the end i used tiger seal for my mesh cause i got it cheap!!!
and tbh it worked a treat

but 1 thing i wouldnt recommend is that double sided foam tape (sorry not sure of its real name??)
cause i used this on my first nova for the sides that werent bolted down and on a journey on the motorway the sides lifted and if it hadnt been bolted on aswell it would have flew off
and thats when i used the velcro from halfords and that never lifted once

Fitted new hatch with spoiler onto car this week. Side pieces and trim removed and cleaned ready for painting. Just got to drill out rivets holding bridge part on the frame. Going to paint frame trim satin matt black and the bridge spoiler part body coloured so metallic Baltic Blue. Goes in on Monday to spray shop so can't wait for the final look when it's all refitted:bigsmile:

Attachments

• 100_0279 (Small).jpg
    100_0279 (Small).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_0280 (Small).jpg
    100_0280 (Small).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_0282 (Small).jpg
    100_0282 (Small).jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 5
The spoiler's back from spray shop and I fitted it today. I'm pleased with results and makes the old girl look really racey. Now for the turbo and exhaust upgrades to be fitted in next couple of weeks :bigsmile:

Attachments

• 100_0285 (Small).jpg
    100_0285 (Small).jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_0286 (Small).jpg
    100_0286 (Small).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_0288 (Small).jpg
    100_0288 (Small).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_0287 (Small).jpg
    100_0287 (Small).jpg