How Do You Do It?

Massive

Torque Master
Car
Clio 172 Cup
i am finding it hard at the moment to keep up with fuel, insurance, tax, and the mot due soon, in terms of cash!

then on top of that all the mods i want to buy,

so how do you lot get the cash to spend on your car and still have a life (thats if you still have a life)

i always see young lads no older than 20 in a nice new astra vxr, or focus st, and just a really nice kitted out car, and wonder how do they afford it,

whats your secret?

Hi there I have been askin myself that same question. I see loads of young lads in type r's an alsorts. I'm only 25 now an i couldn't afford just the insurance on a type r never mind buying the car in the first place. I have to scrimp an save to get things i want it sucks......

Rich parents? or brought on finance citroen did something with the saxos a while back if you brought the car on finanace insurance was included.

Bigger cars dont tend to sell as much anymore because of the taxes next year and petrol prices people cant afford to run big engines, so its getting cheaper to pick up the bigger powered cars.

Mean im 18 and i have a 318I SE BMW 1999 plate with 40k miles on the clock. (good find:)) my insurance is 1400 a year fully comp, and i also dont live with my parents.

have to agree wiv creature...... rich parents! im on ok money but as car has now died i doubt ill have another for a couple of months as will have to save!!!

ok peps at home
no morgage ( dont say digs theres a hell of a differnce between £80 a month an £300 )
no council tax
no gas leccy bills
no phone bill
no internet bill
no food bills
etc etc

thats why young ones can afford to spend the money. before i bought my house i had around £500 spare a month, now with 2 pay rises i have around £100 spare a month
only thing thats dropped in price is my insurance.
other thing isyounger ones get the car insured in there parents name so its much cheaper. For example im now 24 when i was 18 one of my mates had a 1.8 cav sri - insurace was £300 a year why because it was insured through his auntie ( who he stayed with ) never had a claim in her life,

thats what really annnoys me at work to, having to fit expensive boot installs, £1000s of pounds worth of speakers etc, an they have crap jobs. I cant afford kit like that because i have to pay all the bills even though i work non-stop.

I have spoke to a few young 'uns lately and they tell me the banks are falling over themselfs to give them money as soon as they turn 18 - and blowing a few Gs on speakers and stuff that you'll be paying back for many years to come aint the best introduction to adult life.

yeah but the thing is its so easy to declare yourself bankrupt now. so borrowing all this money when you still live at homes fine as you own nothing worth very much. comon how many drive a car that has a decent value? compared to owning the banks £10+ K

Currently my modding and driving is funded by student loans and working my arse off this summer at Asda! For example this week I'm working every single day!

No worries mate, I thought I'd get more of a slaughtering but at least I was honest. I use student loans because without them I wouldn't have anything nice at the moment. I always intended on using student loans to fund my car. I have plenty of back up money as well though just in case. I want to enjoy my young days whilst I can! :)

i probably could afford to do some more mods if i had more money, i get half of my wage taken off me every month for insurance, also i tend to go out alot :s so its mod or have a life in some cases, torn between the two

It suprising how much I waste on food. If I take 10 out of the cash machine I spend it by Friday but the same also goes for £30 and £50. If I have money I spend it but when my wallet is empty it makes me think twice. If you spend £5 a day on food tot it up and see what you are wasting per year. I make sandwiches now or just buy plain rolls and a pack of ham if I'm lazy. My Curry additction ran to £20 per week and when I realised that this was over £1000 per year I really thought twice. I now cook my own rice and just get a small main or cook my own curry.

It is not easy getting by but you will be surpised how much that growing stomach of yours is eating up.

agreed, when i was on permanant dayshift i was spending around £5 a day add another couple on for the puggy so £7 a day 5 days a week thats £35 a week or around £140 a month, now i take a piece in with me saving prob around £60-70 a month

i have 2 cars on the road lucky now that they are not due at the same time
but the volvo does not get any money spend on it well spend £60 on it on 2 mods when i got it and just got a cd changer for it but thats it for the volvo but i got the money for that after selling the van had 300 spare

but the trans am take the money up sent nearly £100 this week on it and only have 3 bits for it
got a gold dash surrond on sunday for it gold wheel centers dont need them as only 1 looks bad but they was cheap and got 2 gold birds for the door cards but they are very rare

but i live at home with my mum so only pay keep and for my internet and phone
rest goes on cars and i am a mot tester so most food money in the week are from tips got £20 this morning to that pays for petrol for the week

and i buy and sell the odd car /bike plus some ebay deals

I am funding my car from eBay and scrap dealers.

Buy an old car, BMWs are good. Strip and sell on eBay then take what is left to scrap dealer (although price has dropped from £150 to £100/tonne at the moment). It is just a matter of biding my time and picking up the good deals when they arrive. At the moment I am stripping a 318 and 520. Best one was a wrecked M reg M3 Coupe. Cost me £400, made £3554 profit! Could do with a few more of those!

Fortunately, I have the space to store and work on cars. Not so easy if living at home or in a traditional semi with space just for one car on drive.

When I was living at home and before getting married, I used to work in a car accessory shop at the weekend. Extra cash and good discounts on parts. When I needed even more cash I worked evenings as well. I didn't smoke and drank sensibly so all my spare cash went into the car. If you really want it, turn off the X-Box, cut out the fags and beer and get out there to earn what you need. End of sermon :)

Carry as little cash as possible cos you'll spend it, put a regular amount away in an ISA and use this for the car treats!

Save money wherever you can so as has been said taking sandwiches to work is a good idea. Drink water instead of coke/coffee and this should save a bit more dosh. Every little bit adds up.

What is your mobile phone bill like? Many people I know are amazed that a £50 top up lasts me most of the year on my PAYG phone! I am amazed that they are spending £50 per month.

i use my phone alot textin my gf, friends, cousins, so im on a 30 quid a month contract which works out alot cheaper for me, i gonna see if i can set up a small buisness on the net for designing my own t-shirts, so if that EVER get goin, all help and support would be appreciated ;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back