How do you delock a car (Properly)

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
De-locking a car. I guess theres more to it than just filling in the keyholes! Is there a release mechanism that pops open the door when the keyfob unlock is pressed. I would assume you only want the drivers door to pop open. I have a bit of an idea about this but really wanted to get a general consensus before I go mess things up.

(When I was 6 I delocked the front door to the house with Chewing gum and my parents went ballistic! - It looked cool though :oops: )

Lmao!

I don't think removing the lock barrel should affect it if you have remote central locking? The door doesn't nessasserily need to pop open does it? Just unlock?!

You can get popping mechanisms though, but that would probably make it alot more complicated..

Thats my Dilemma Freddie - I don't know the accepted professional way. I hate getting things to pieces then realising that I don't have all of the parts I need! I know someone out there has done the work and made the mistakes for me so I want to learn from them.

Modern cars only have a keyhole on the drivers door anyway. A little coloured sticker can mask over this and leave the option of a key entry when the battery in the remote goes. But hey if the battery goes and you can get in the immobiliser will still be on so you can't go anywhere anyway! :?

my car has been delocked when i got it and all it has done to it is that the barrel removed and it just unlock's the door and you open it with the handle. if you want to go crazy then u can get door 'poppers' and remove the handles and barrel which will then have nothing on the side of the car but when the button is pressed the door will pop open. if you get a decent door popper then on the remote there will be an option of left or right door to be popped. any further questions

Thanks for the comprehensive answer Luigipunto. What happens if the battery goes flat - can you still get into the car? Just really wondering about the practicalities of taking out the locks etc...

do you think it would be possible, if u had a lock that was deep in the handle. im talkin like half inch between the surface of the handle and the face of the lock. so do u think u could put plaster of paris in the hole then put the key in, let it set, the pull it out. if u paint it it could look de locked but still work if u lost the remote

Plaster of Paris :shock: I'd use a flexible filler. Get a chuck of metal a little wider than the barrel of the key, coat with vaseline or similar and it should pull out when the filler is set.

I think having the lock so far back though would interfere with the window mechanisms etc

It was a clever idea though and is worth someone trying out if they have deep doors.

billyo said:
Modern cars only have a keyhole on the drivers door anyway. A little coloured sticker can mask over this and leave the option of a key entry when the battery in the remote goes. But hey if the battery goes and you can get in the immobiliser will still be on so you can't go anywhere anyway! :?

Its the opposite with most new cars in my family, the keyhole is on the passenger side only. The drivers side is de-locked by standard.

Its probably been mentioned already (I have not finished reading the entire thread) but it sounds like Waynne is taking about removing the handle aswell as the lock, hence his idea for the door to "pop" open.