How do you decide on tyres

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What do you take into account when choosing a tyre?

Do you look at the tread patter, manufacturer, online reviews, past experience or other factors when deciding which tyres to put on your car?

I tend to pick directional patterns because I like the cornering feel they give me, I also stick with quality brands and I do read the reviews online. When it comes to tyres i'm not prepared to compromise, this is the only contact my car has with the road.

I read the reviews online. Weigh the specs to get the best compromise between grip and wear and keep to the better known brands as well. Since we don't get snow in this part of the world I can limit my choices between Max Performance summer tires and High Performance summer tires.

Oh what a joy to just have summer tyres all year round. If there are no downsides to the Philippines I might move there myself.

I've shyed away from directionals lately. I have a pair of directionals on the rear but the fronts are assymetic and I think they're quieter and 'bitier'.

Mainly recommendations from a select few, but I use general interweb reviews to help sway me. The AD08's were a bit of a shot in the dark with regards to being a newish tyre and not many people using them, but they turned out to be epic. You'd expect no less from Yokohama tbh.

I've got Barum's Bravuris II on the front and they drive exactly like the Conti Premium Contact II to which they bear a striking resemblance. Also made in the same factory, I'm told. (Not much cheaper either!)

I do tend to go on glowing recommendations; only from those who know what they are talking about mind you!
The shortlist is then compiled, usually between 4 and 7 different types of tyre, then I start my own research to narrow it down to the one! ;)

I look last at cost. I find that cheap tyres wear out much more quickly and cost more overall than buying quality in the first place.

Budget tyres are best avoided in my opinion. But some of what are now called midrange brands are extremely good and almost all of these have links with or are owned by big brand makers.

Budget tyres are best avoided in my opinion. But some of what are now called midrange brands are extremely good and almost all of these have links with or are owned by big brand makers.

This is very true! A mate of mine in the Saab Owners Club, now buys Neuton NT5000 tyres, which are less than 2/3rds of the price that he use to pay for a Pirelli P-Zero; and apparently they perform as well if not better than the Pirelli's.

I look last at cost. I find that cheap tyres wear out much more quickly and cost more overall than buying quality in the first place.

I disagree. They are usually harder and more plastic feeling even to the touch when compared to a proper tyre imo and as a result last much longer than a soft performance tyre for example.

There's more to tyre compounds than apparent hardness. Even this doesn't really give a measure of wear rate.

Perhaps the reason cheapest of cheap tyres last for ages is because everyone is absolutely bloody terrified of driving at more than 35mph on the things :lol: :lol:

There's more to tyre compounds than apparent hardness. Even this doesn't really give a measure of wear rate.

Perhaps the reason cheapest of cheap tyres last for ages is because everyone is absolutely bloody terrified of driving at more than 35mph on the things :lol: :lol:

I understand that much at least, in general terms though it's safe to say softer tyres wear more quickly than harder tyres!

I understand that much at least, in general terms though it's safe to say softer tyres wear more quickly than harder tyres!

That's fair to say.

Bridgestone, by way of example, used to be very good at offering fitments for many cars in their Potenza and in their Turanza ranges.

If you wanted a sportier, gripper, but softer wearing tyre go for the Potenza. I put the RE-720s on the 406. Fantastic grip but the wear was rapid (front set killed in 5000 miles - too m uch torque for a FWD car). But there was also a fitment Turanza ER-300 (IIRC) which promised better lifespan but with less outright grip. I never tried these as I defected to Conti Sport Contacts

That's the thing isn't it chief, most premium tyres these days at the same price point are very simular with regards to performance. Almost everyone can get a tyre to suit their needs within reason IE not dirt cheap and amazing. Although there are some tyres out there that offer terrific value, those Falkens FK452 being a good example apparently.

It mainly comes down the personal preference and in some cases brand loyalty now imo.

I think they've almost become a fashion statement now as well. With monster CAD processing power to assist in tread design it's possible to make all sorts of different patterns, all of which will perform equally well as each other in terms of water dispersal, despite looking radically different.

I've never bought Falkens, though have come close twice. What stopped me on both occasions was a massive discount on something I'd previously used and been happy with, as you say matey - brand loyalty.

I'm looking to give Kumho's tyres a bash at some point but I'm very happy with Barum's new Bravuris 2's I have currently so will in all probability stick with these again. Probably not quite up to Conti in outright performance terms but they are still incredibly grippy and suit the 5 series well with their quiet ride on all surfaces.

I'd say Hankook are very good and very reasonably priced as well, I'm using Yokohama's PARADA Spec II's at the moment and they are bloody good also if a bit scary in the wet, They really don't have a progressive breakaway point like my hankooks did but they do offer more outright grip and are a tad noisey. But for how much I paid there are a bargin to say the least!

You can't choose by picking one set that you read on on-line reviews.... The goal is to try as many different sets so that you could choose one baring to your driving style and car.
And yes, every single thin goes into count, from pattern to tire construction itself.

For example I love yokohama.

You can't choose by picking one set that you read on on-line reviews.... The goal is to try as many different sets so that you could choose one baring to your driving style and car.
And yes, every single thin goes into count, from pattern to tire construction itself.

For example I love yokohama.

All that discussion about every different aspect of construction, pattern etc. then you generalise and name one brand :embarrest:

Yes, I said that it's better to try as many as you can, and then decide. From what I drove on, it's yokohama. I'm not saying it will never change ;)