How do you choose your wheels?

Big Fat Fatty

The Torque Meister
Car
Accord VTEC Sport
If you were in the market for a new set of wheels how would you go about choosing them, what criteria would you use to make the final descision?

Isn't HD an old stick-in-the-mud party pooper :)

Looking for wheels for the Elan at the moment. Well, actually, I have been looking for over 4 years!

I don't like being able to see the brakes and suspension so avoiding spoked wheels. It's a bit like seeing a girl's underwear - sexy perhaps but also tarty and quite often disappointing :)

Probably going for the old skool slot mag style, but lightweight 3-piece billet so that I can spec offsets, etc. Trying to keep the theme simple and unassuming.

Image Wheels are the preferred supplier at the moment; one reason being a friend is sponsored by them so a discount is in the offing :)

Last edited:
For my first set I looked for a while and settled on these:

Lenso RS5s
HondaCivic64.jpg

After smashing one quite badly I got a cheap set from eBay...

TSW Catalunyas
SL370835.jpg

I was going to swap them for Rota Slipstreams but sold the car instead.

For my BMW I orginally bought a set of AC Schnitzer Type 3s but sold them on as I changed my mind on them.

Since then I've been rolling stock, but next week I'll be rolling on these:

BBS RC090 (a.k.a. Style 5s)
DSCF0704.jpg

i really dont like bbs rims sorry :/ i like spokes, i would like some rota 5 spokes, but dont think they would look right on a small hatch

Weight, strength and brake cooling efficiency. Function over form I'm afraid. I do like to see the brake disks though and prefer the more open spoke designs. I generally keep the OEM ones on the car though for that "sleeper" look!

as you probably seen my STVI post, i chose them through looking at the jap look and trying to find soemthing that would look like this that would cost a bombshell, the rota wheels are very nice would reccomend tbh havnt had too much experience with bbs!

i really dont like bbs rims sorry :/ i like spokes, i would like some rota 5 spokes, but dont think they would look right on a small hatch

Each to their own mate. I think Rotas belong on Jap cars (although they do make them for BMWs as well).

I will say though, the BBS' are by far the lightest rim I have ever lifted.

how much are the bbs weighing in at? I know the pro race range from team dynamics are damnn light too!

According to something I found online they weigh in at 15 pounds. I believe the Pro Race selection is around the 7/8 pound mark but the BBS' aren't track wheels, just road wheels so quite light in comparison to the aftermarket rubbish I've previously had!

Tires are the most important part of a car, and you cant choose such tires which can not suit to your car. The most important thing for the tires is the proper shape and size, we must choose such tires which can fit into the car. tires should be according to the weather.

Tires are the most important part of a car, and you cant choose such tires which can not suit to your car. The most important thing for the tires is the proper shape and size, we must choose such tires which can fit into the car. tires should be according to the weather.

I find the round one's deffo work better :love:

Pity Weller don't make another bigger than 13" :blink1:

I have my standard 17" straights for track use and a set of 18s for everyday. The 18s were chosen for looks and cost, so a compromise was made. The wheels I did like were more than the car was worth! Looking back I wish I had bought something different and kept to 17s.

Never bought :(:embarrest:

Always kept with what I have. Never seen the point on my other cars, as I would spend the money on making them go faster.

And Im quite happy with the ones as standard on the evo.