Horsepower and torque on cars

hardus77

Car
kia stinger
Hello everyone,

So I understand all the math behind it. and the definition.... But I dont understand the practical aspect of it since I am very weak on hands on work and mechanical parts.

So, exactly where does the horsepower and torque get measured on a car? also, when a car stats lists a value, what does it mean? and how do they even get that? (i.e. '17 golf R is listed as 292 HP and 280 lb-ft of torque)

what does this value actually mean? is it max possible value the car can get? but that doesnt mean much if you have no other info. using just the 2 info given there, you get an RPM of 5477.

again, what does that RPM even mean here? is it saying at highest gear the car can be at?

as well as my original question, this is confusing me.

Thank you!

Hello and welcome!

where does the horsepower and torque get measured on a car
Torque is measure of work, ability to turn something with force. In the case of an engine turning the camshaft.
Horsepower is a derived number from rpm and torque - H = T x rpm/5252.

The practical aspects of larger T&HP numbers means a car will accelerate faster.

when a car stats lists a value, what does it mean? and how do they even get that
In the real world they are mostly used a benchmark against other cars; just a way to measure one car vs another. They get the value by running the car on a dyno.

i.e. '17 golf R is listed as 292 HP and 280 lb-ft of torque
what does this value actually mean
Using your example of the Golf R I can look at those numbers and know my car (which produced similar numbers) will accelerate at a similar rate.

is it max possible value the car can get?
The posted torque will be the maximum torque output of that engine, in that set up (as cars can be modded to increase torque).

what does that RPM even mean here?
The posted RPM will be the point that engine is producing maximum torque.

I hope that gets you going and if you have anymore questions please do ask! Questioning is how we learn :)

Hello and welcome!

Torque is measure of work, ability to turn something with force. In the case of an engine turning the camshaft.
Horsepower is a derived number from rpm and torque - H = T x rpm/5252.
vidmate mobdro

The practical aspects of larger T&HP numbers means a car will accelerate faster.

In the real world they are mostly used a benchmark against other cars; just a way to measure one car vs another. They get the value by running the car on a dyno.

Using your example of the Golf R I can look at those numbers and know my car (which produced similar numbers) will accelerate at a similar rate.

The posted torque will be the maximum torque output of that engine, in that set up (as cars can be modded to increase torque).

The posted RPM will be the point that engine is producing maximum torque.

thankyou so much!!!