honda prelude problems

tommybhoy

Car
prelude 1997 vtec
hi guys n girls iam writing to you for some advice ,i have a 1997 prelude 2.2 vti vtec recently the power in the car is dropping ,i used to be able to feel the vtec kicking in but recently this is lacking .iam waiting for a new exhaust becaue mine has a hole in the area around the cat . ive got a new performance manifold and decat and iam waitng for the rest of the stainless exhaust to come , i was thinking about a new aem air filter and spark plugs and magnecor ht leads .i have new mobil 1 oil and filter to be done also a new timing belt .will all this help me as i love this car to bits thanking you tommybhoy

It sounds like your loss of power may be down to the hole in the exhaust. Has it been serviced recently? What is the mileage like? Perhaps you are losing compression somewhere due to wear. Make sure you use the correct grade of oil - too thin and too thick can both cause problems.

thankyou waynne for your quick reply ,could i ask you if the tmming bet needs changed would this make any dfferance and the other mods culd they help?

thankyou waynne for your quick reply ,could i ask you if the tmming bet needs changed would this make any dfferance and the other mods culd they help?
timing belts wont change the power of a car, although if you just bought it, get it done

holes in the exhaust do cause loss of hp, but if the vtec kick isnt as strong as it should be, its 1 thing, low in oil

my car was down on power a few weeks ago, due to clogged injectors
but the vtec still roared

a service will tell you a lot, and its the first thing id get done, before buying all those upgraded mods, as these mods will help, but wont sort out the vtec, oil pressure is the only thing that makes vtec work

mate forgot to mention,
if the vtec kick is becoming weaker it points 1 way, and thats because your losing oil
when you start the car in the morning, go to the exhanst and tell me what coulor the smoke is, it shouldnt be blue

and i totally understand why you love your car to bits
best car honda ever made

spool filter gasket mate, about £20 from the dealers, chances are its clogged up, undo the vtec solinoid (3 bolts) from th head, theres an o-ring style gasket with a metal gause. it'l be full of #!#!#!#!#!#!. makes a world of difference cos the oil pressure will have dropped. trust me i'd do this 1st!!!

spool filter gasket mate, about £20 from the dealers, chances are its clogged up, undo the vtec solinoid (3 bolts) from th head, theres an o-ring style gasket with a metal gause. it'l be full of #!#!#!#!#!#!. makes a world of difference cos the oil pressure will have dropped. trust me i'd do this 1st!!!
i know the thing your on about, i had to seal mine up, it was leaking, but the metal gause was spotless
if yours is dirty mate, obviously change it, but the only way that would clog up is due to not servicing it, the last owner mightened have serviced it well, now you have it, give it some tlc, vtecs hate dirty oil and will only eventually drive all wrong (lose hp)