Home made exterier mods?

Ticket55

Tuner
Car
mazda RX-7 FD3
I was looking at pictures and specs of mx5s to get some more ideas for my build (when i get round to starting the damned thing). And alot of them have hand made parts, like conards, splitters, flared arches etc. My question is... How do they make them? I guess one way would be make a template of conards for example out of plywood, then fiberglass it? Bodyfiller, smooth, paint and fit? Am I missing something. Some of the things I've seen look absolutly amazing and as if a professional has made them but then it states that they have had no previous experience planning, making then fitting the parts.

Flared arches for another example, I've read some people stick cardboard to the car, use expandable foam, mould it to the shape they are after, fiberglass it then smooth it out with bodyfiller. Is that one way of doing it cheaply?

Just trying to get a rough cost and time this idea is going to cost me. The car I'm taking most of my inspiration from, has been featured in speedhunters. And alot of it has been hand made.

Not too fussed about time, as it will be a peoject and i want to do it right. Sorry for the essay!

Can upload a pic of the car i saw if requested :).

Don't think so, i believe the guys name was Rod godwin, something along them lines lol. But will look at Ronin 211! :D

Haha, no. Wasnt Ronin! I was looking at a more realistic build for my budget :p

Well sure, I could go and google pretty much every bit of information I'm after. Was just simply trying to engage with the forum members first. Have a chat, have a laugh with people like minded, rather than spend however long bored by myself reading Wikipedia entries. Appologies.

Expanding foam works pretty well for small areas. Block foam for bigger jobs such as wheel arches. Secure to car and hack away. The trick is to get the sides to match as close as possible. However, they don't have to be a perfect match as you can't see both sides at the same time :)

Once you have the shape you want, you can either use this as the mold or take a mold from it.

Thats what im worried about yugguy. But im willing to give anything a bash atleast once! And yea, the matching would be the issue too. But even if i attempt and screw it up completely, I found a us site that supplies alot of very nice body mods, so least i know that money can fix it lol.

Yea, wont be for a while as the mrs decided were going on holiday this year! But I'll certainly have a go and show off what a mess i made :)