Higher speed limits.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Would you agree to a higher "dry weather" speed limit if it were enforced on a zero tolerance basis?

I'd be happy to see long stretches of motorway increase to 90mph and for motorists to be fined for doing a quarter mile at 91mph. Of course if it is wet or unsafe then motorists will need to observe more sensible speeds!:amazed:

If we could cover say the M1 in a shorter time this is bound to be better for the economy and should reduce congestion (or am I dreaming!)

What limits and rules would you set and do you think it will increase the accident rates?

i dont think it would make much difference. youd still have folk sitting in the middle lane doing 65 and wagons would still be limited to 56.
the other problem is who says what the road conditions are ? they might be sitting in an office looking at a cctv camera going : yip it pouring down speed limits going to be 50mph. yet a mile up the road it might stil be dry

I think the way cars are made today most(not all) people cruise 85-90mph so a higher limit would be better, but as you said only if safe and i'd also like to see enforced fines for people that refuse to use clear left hand lane. not sure about the accident rate, theres bound to be more because of the increase in speed.

but also slower speed cause accidents, due to some comin fast esp when they pull out at last minute!

i say NO LIMIT ON THE MOTORWAY!!!!!

The problem is that there are some truly tragically bad drivers out there who are enough of a liability with the current limits. I think we could allow 90mph on motorways, but there has to be more enforcement of bad driving penalties. Or some serious driver re-education.

I ignore silly government stats that spit out anti-speed propaganda. If one-third of all accidents involved excessive speed (whatever the definition for that is!) then clearly two-thirds didn't. So, what's the conclusion then? That we should all drive faster?

Last edited:
True about education motorway driving is the only part of driving that is not taught, Do you think when you drive all other people lose the use of common sense?

I'm not restricting this to motorways. I think that the general driving standard in this country is poor.

Yet I don't think that we have a particularly bad accident/road safety record in spite of that.

Room for improvement, as my school report might've read 30 years ago.

i reckon keep the city suburbs the same limit,but dual carrigways and motorways up from 6o mph and 70 mph to 80 mph and 100 mph. the reason being,did you ever do 70 mph and overtake somone doing 60 mph?? slow isnt it,it takes all day..

if there was a higher speed limit on these sort of roads,people wouldnt speed as much because lets be honest here,80 mph is just right, not to slow,and not fast.

if this was introduced,i could see less accidents on the roads as people wouldnt rush as much as they do now,and because its all 1 way on these rds,the flow of traffic[same speed]would be the same resulting in less sudden changes from people....what im trying to say here is...if a car is 10 yards ahead of you and he decides to change lanes,if both of you and the other car is doing 80 mph,its not going to be a problem,but if your doing 80 mph and he is doing 60 mph, and he decides to change lanes,[and lets face it,this happenes everyday with people who speed up the overtaking lane of a dual carrigway] it might result in an accident..

if this ever happens that the speed limit increases,i bet anyone that the % of crashes on these roads will decrease in the first year alone

wacthed anotemy of a car crash 1 night,and not going into another story of this,the % of crashes that are caused by speed is very low,bad roads had a higher % than speed

they are all the time saying speed kills,well of course it does,the faster the impact,the less likely you are to live,but if everyone drove with common sense,this would be a problem...does anyone know the statistics on rd deaths in germany[no speed limit,and perfect roads] i bet its less than anywhere in europe

also,forgot to mention this,,i think they should teach kids how to drive in school like the usa does./it would be a very intresting subject,everyone would like it,and it would stand to them when they are older,.because at least 1 out of 4 will own a car,if not more

get rid of history as a subject,its forward life goes,not backwards...and i loved history,but what has it done for me??? i know that einstein was a genius....WOW,,WOOPTY DOO ha ha

Deutsch Autobahn police are very strict on driving standards. You can't go tearing about at 160mph without concentrating.
ha ha,but thats what i mean when i say common sense,people need to realise that when driving,its not a video game,its a very serious matter

wouldnt it be great do,if you crashed that you pressed a button and start your trip again

i reckon keep the city suburbs the same limit,but dual carrigways and motorways up from 6o mph and 70 mph to 80 mph and 100 mph. the reason being,did you ever do 70 mph and overtake somone doing 60 mph?? slow isnt it,it takes all day..

Dual carrageways already are 70mph its single ones that are 60

Some roads down our way have gone from 60 to 40! The local residents will now start complaining about the fumes from the slow moving cars.