High performance valve springs

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
The valves are like the doorways into the engine and control the flow of the intake air and fuel and then after combustion they control the exit of the exhaust gases. As you can guess the valve springs work incredibly hard, and as you increase the power of your engine the valve choice is vital. TorqueCars will now take a look at the many considerations taken into account when selecting valve springs.

Continue reading... or post your comments below on this article.

When I bought my cams I also bought the recommended springs to go with them from the same cam shop.
Would have loved to get the light weight titanium retainers as well.

One day when I get some time to write properly again. It's not a new idea though, even the ancient BL O-series and S-series engines used dual springs.

Valve Springs can also lose power if you use a spring combination that is over specced for your engine. Cam can prematurely wearing out aswell as turning forces having more forces to deal with so power lose is commonly the result. Pointless fitting stronger springs that are capable revving to 8000rpm when your engine can only make maximum power at 6000rpm. More power comes from parts made lighter and using a Beehive type valve spring specced to your reciprocating parts being used. My 4cyl 16v can safely go to 9000rpm without valve bounce but pointless when power drops off below 8000rpm with the cams I fitted. I use lightweight valves from Supertech and titanium spring caps with only single spring of the Beehive design rated at 125k.p. 9000rpm + . Hope this helps understanding parts working together when specced for engine capability and characteristics.