hids today

Yugguy

Torque King
Car
Merc C220Cdi Elegan
Does anyone have recent experience with HIDS and mot? Is the law still as vague as it was a few years ago or have they tightened it up? I had a hid conversion on a Signum (with projector lenses) 4 years ago and it didn't dazzle others and passed the mot.

It used to depend on how the different mot places interpreted "cleaning and self-levelling systems, WHERE FITTED, must be operational.

Not sure Guy, I believe Paul (HDi) has the inside scoop on what is and what is not allowed :)

Lot's of missives. DfT's papers seem to form little more than internal opinions.

Opinions do not form any part of law.

There are numerous musings about the legality of HID lighting as an aftermarket fitment. The absolute requirement for self leveling headlights and headlight washing systems are mitigated against by EU approval. Any car with EU approval is automatically UK legal regardless of either of the above. Self leveling suspension is also considered sufficient in place of automatic beam leveling. In my opinion washing systems are good, HID lights are very bright and stray light is not good. I can also see why EU requirements are such that if a washing system is in place it MUST work.

There are construction and usage regs which require the fitment of a particular type of lamp/light source/burner. There aren't regs which prohibit others.

Basically, if you fit HIDs as a conversion, the beam pattern is tightly focused and the alignment is correct then I cannot see why it would be a problem. This is my opinion. Which is worth no more or less than that of the DfT.

I caved in and retrofitted the BMW in Jan 2013. The factory fit HB4 dips were pathetic. Post facelift cars were much better with H7 fitments. I tried everything, Even Osram's NiteBreaker II failed to give me sufficient light on and along the road - if they had I wouldn't have done the HID retrofit. HIDKITS.CO.UK supplied me with a kit for around £90.

There's another company out there now - Twenty20 or something like that. I have fitted their H7 lamps in the Passat and they are very good indeed.

**Re MoT. If the lights are of the same colour, the beam pattern & alignment are correct then your car WILL pass. Silly colours, eg obviously blue or purple then its likely to fail. The MoT tester is NOT allowed to dismantle the car or components during the test and thus the means by which light is produced is not disclosed.

Be careful if your 'glass' lenses are plastic. Very hot bulbs can melt plastic lenses. Experienced this a few times whilst working part time in a car accessory shop.