Hidden features on cars.

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
Car
Insignia SRI.
Ok so have you found any hidden features in your car?
I'm still getting used to mine and whilst playing around in the other day I found out I can turn all the driver aids off altogether.
Not just t/c but all the other back up driver aids esp and such.
Anyone else found anything interesting?

In my Focus I found out a dashboard trick that allowed me to read fault codes and test a few other things. I'd only had it 2 an a half years. :blink:

both my leon and legacy have a cash generating rear footwells!! its such a well hidden feature i cant figure out how they do it:amuse:

In my Focus I found out a dashboard trick that allowed me to read fault codes and test a few other things. I'd only had it 2 an a half years. :blink:
What's the trick? It might not work on my older dash computer thing but worth a try

Found out that my cars SID - Saab Information Display - has an open facility that you can access by pressing the brake pedal with the ignition on and holding down the +/- button on the dashboard. This then takes you into an engineers service menu which reveals all manner of information from your engine and CanBus links.

Hidden feature on my car is to release a smell of burnt oil while at a stand still in traffic, this I believe is a sleeper feature that fools people into thinking I'm driving a jalopy. :amuse:

I found a speed restrictor the other day.................................................................................she don't half bark! :amuse:

Just found a first aid kit hidden under the drivers seat in a hidden flap! I've had the car 6 months now!

Quite a few drivers don't know that the steering wheel in some cars are adjustable for reach as well as up/down so if you have long legs and short arms or vice verse you should be able to adjust things to get the correct/best /safest position behind the wheel.

Last edited:
^^^^^ blimey ^^^^^

I thought this was pretty much standard for the last 15 years or so apart from the absolute bottom of the range models!!

IMHO quite a few car owners do not seem to know all the features as they don't seem to have read the owners manual:sad2:
Had to help a female driver in a 4WD SUV who was stuck in a difficult spot and told her to engage the 4WD and she was absolutely clueless ( said she had it for 2 years ) so showed her how and it just drove out first try.

I know someone who had the centre diff lock permanently engaged without being aware and without understanding the reasons for it. She detroyed the transfer box.

I cant imagine how badly the LRD would have driven with all the wheels forced to rotate at the same speed

Yet she claimed that 4wd was essential......For the safety of her children ! ! ! ! !

I know someone who had the centre diff lock permanently engaged without being aware and without understanding the reasons for it. She detroyed the transfer box.

I cant imagine how badly the LRD would have driven with all the wheels forced to rotate at the same speed

Yet she claimed that 4wd was essential......For the safety of her children ! ! ! ! !

IMHO most car buyers just nod their head pretending to understand all the technology built into their new car and what exactly each does.
Have had females at driver training too timid or frightened and braking at 70% only when asked to execute an emergency stop so they could experience ABS they didn't want to lock the brakes.
Had to explain that the brakes must lock the wheel/wheels before the ABS will activate.
Have had a few take their foot off the brake pedal when the ABS was pulsating as they thought something had broken or was wrong with the car.

Last edited:
What was the ratio (M:F) you were coaching?

Many cars do need some pretty firm pedal pressure to dig deep into the ABS, EBD etc.

I have no problem with light or firm pedal feel but optimally I prefer a pedal on the firm side of light, it is easier to modulate.

In panic braking it makes no difference at all. Just bury it with all your strength.

However, if we're panic braking frequently then the problem lies elsewhere: OBSERVATION and ANTICIPATION

Last edited:
What was the ratio (M:F) you were coaching?

Many cars do need some pretty firm pedal pressure to dig deep into the ABS, EBD etc.

I have no problem with light or firm pedal feel but optimally I prefer a pedal on the firm side of light, it is easier to modulate.

In panic braking it makes no difference at all. Just bury it with all your strength.

However, if we're panic braking frequently then the problem lies elsewhere: OBSERVATION and ANTICIPATION

1 The company was mainly involved in High school L&P drivers as well as corporate/company/mine staff who have to do the basic defensive course under the "workplace health and safety rules "for employees that have to drive as part of their job and a few court offenders that were tying to save their licence so as a rough guess 70%male 30% female

2 That's the way I like it as well:bigsmile:

3 Some were scared/frightened/reluctant as mum/auntie /dad/granny or whoever was teaching??them to drive?? had told them not to brake too hard:blink:

4 Couldn't agree more It's all about situational awareness .Unfortunately most seem to have the brain in cruise mode and are thinking about everything else and not concentrating on their driving.Thinking about what they will be doing whenever they get there.

^^^^ Sadly the situation is that those drivers who are most in need of some additional training/correction are the ones least likely to seek it ^^^^
Spot on!! and even more sadly seem oblivious to their shortcomings behind the wheel.

If I were to take up parachuting and knowing it can be a dangerous sport I would seek chute packing lessons from an expert professional packer and follow his method to the finest degree absolutely every time .Unfortunately way too many drivers/motorists ( another very dangerous occupation IMHO with more killed and maimed than all the world wars added together :() fall into bad habits and develop dangerous practices on the roads and behind the wheel and unfortunately unknowingly pass them on to their children during their 16 years as a passenger.:sad2:
Sigh must get down off my hobby horse again :lol:

I've found loads of features on mine in the past few weeks of ownership. Few too many to stumble through but needless to say it's relatively gadget-heavy

I found a really OTT feature in the Mitsibishi Chariot today

Now I know it is the top of the range MXGDi but how many cars have a custom built case for sunglasses built into the roof in the same material as the headlining

Mine has the same sunglasses unit built into the roof. I find it useful as I do wear sunglasses, especially when the sun's as low as it is at this time of year.

I found out recently that if a brake light goes it uses the rear light as the brake light

My Saab does this too, I wish I knew that before I took it into a garage when the SID was saying I had a brake light failure, I clearly had a reflection from the brake lights on a wall when I tested it, I thought my car computer was having a bit of a moment. :embarrest:

Last edited:
My Saab does this too, I wish I knew that before I took it into a garage when the SID was saying I had a brake light failure, I clearly had a reflection from the brake lights on a wall when I tested it, I thought my car computer was having a bit of a moment. :embarrest:
I had the same scenario my computer is telling me I have a break light out so I got the Mrs to see which one had gone she said none so I checked and it took me a while to realise

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a really OTT feature in the Mitsibishi Chariot today

Now I know it is the top of the range MXGDi but how many cars have a custom built case for sunglasses built into the roof in the same material as the headlining

SWMBO = wife has that feature in her now 4 year old base model Honda Accord:D

Toyota Camry does..... Already been there
There's a special feature that all cars have which some drivers don't understand. That big clear glass thing in front of them is clever....
You can look through it and see down the road :-D