Hi I’m new, need advice on my Mito QV

Rimless

Car
Alfa Romeo Mito QV
Hey all

My name is Shaun, I’m new to the forum I’m based in Johannesburg South Africa. I drive a 2014 Alfa Romeo Mito QV, which I recently purchased. I am really impressed with the car on almost all fronts, firstly the handling is no where near on par with both my megane RS 250 nor my 2008 Cio RS. So I am looking for some advice on what is the best way to improve the handling without having to drop the car, as we have many speed humps all over the place and the roads are a lot like the English B roads in condition and also I don’t want to spend thousands as our currency is almost 20 to the British pound. So while I don’t expect it to handle like a clio RS I want to improve it so it doesn’t feel so unstable round corners and bends at speed and is more surefooted. Secondly I want to do a few mods it is a daily driver so I was thinking if I could bump it up 30BHP or so and round 50nm in torque that would give me plenty to to have fun with in dynamic mode. It’s just to get rid of the pesky GTi wannabe’s in their polo GTI’s and also people in their 120d (which incidentally handed me my ads the other day on a short dice). I have been told by a local Mito group here that I should start with a down pipe(leave the standard exhaust in place) do second stage software and put a performance filter in the original air box (which I already have) as I don’t drive in dynamic mode a lot they tell me this will give me what I am looking for at a reasonable price (round £400 in your money) and keep the car reliable. I would love to hear what advice you guys have for me look forward to reading it. Good to be part of this forum, thanks Shaun

The Mito has a very interesting suspension design, the flex they build in helps with the cornering. If the car has had harder poly bushes fitted, rip them off and go back to OEM rubber ones.

My Mito rule is don't mess with the bushes unless you change the whole suspension setup. These cars were designed with a flexible suspension system that sharpens up the turn on heavy cornering, you get a little more body roll but quite a bit of grip and a sharp turning circle.

You'll improve things a lot on a car just by setting a little toe in at the front and adjusting the camber angle.

Your tyre choice also makes a big impact on handling. Some directional tread patterns or the "v" grooves work really well, Goodyear Eagle F1's worked really well for me but there are many others out there.

Fit a set of coilovers, keep the right height but change the spring rates for something slightly firmer and you'll go a long way to improve the handling.

Thanks for the advice Waynne much appreciated. Just an observation I read a post which said the first thing that should be added to the mito is a strut brace. I think the post had a link to forge braces which go under the car one near the front and one at the back, also there seems to be a front bottom omp brace and possibly a top strut brace, but I am battling to confirm if they will fit the Mito QV, any comment on this? Thanks in advance

The cars in different countries and different ages can have very different specs so I wouldn't want to commit as I'm no Mito expert but maybe someone who is will read this post and offer up their comments. You could try the OMP customer services department for clarification.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back