Hi Ho

martinm

Hey guys, bought myself a nice little fiesta Si 90bhp was wondering what can i do to give it that little something extra without spending shedloads on it.

The only think that is concerning me is the insurance, do the engine mods effect it, i am new to the driving game so don't really know that much, can you recommend anywhere to get the chip form?

The web is a great place to start, try angeltuning.co.uk

Some companies that do remapping advise that their chips are untraceable... 8)

What we really need is an insurance guide that explains what is acceptable........

Just read your insurance guide and I disagree with the part in which you said that Norwich Union is an 'Insurance Friendly' insurer.
Reason being I used to drive a Saxo VTS, I bought it completely stock and insured it. After about 6 months I then put on an aftermarket stainless steel backbox (because my old one rusted through). I then gave Norwich Union a call and they told me that they will only cover a maximum of 2 modifications at an extra 10% of the premium per mod!

This meant I had to pay around an extra £100 just for sticking on a stainless steel backbox which made hardly any difference to performance.

Daylight robbery I tell you!

Anyway that's my 2 cents!

-Xero.

Xero - your comments are noted thank you for updating us.

Did you insure with Norwich Union Direct or go through a broker. I find that my local broker can swing most things with Norwich Union but when I went direct they didn't want to insure me so I stuck with the local broker.

I've been hunting for insurance quotes this morning..

I'm 19, own an almost standard VTR (Group 7), with 1 years no claims and no confictions or accidents. I'm looking for fully comp insurance and estimate my vehicle to be worth in the region of £3000

Norwich Union wont touch me as I'm under 21, neither will Tesco's and I'd imagine a few more!

Flux were under £2000, but not the cheapest.. Quinn-Direct quoted me £1309 online, but this might change once I ring up and declare my S/S Backbox.. Does this sound like a reasonable price?

I'm unsure whether or not to say under my parent's name untill I'm over 21, as 'we' can get insured by CIS for around £600.

I'm also quite interested to find out why some insurers have asked me about being a member of a car club and going to car events? I replied yes, being honest, but not sure how this would affect my quotation!

Come-on Wayne, I'm sure you are the man with the answers!

I'll depress you Freddie - The premium you pay will never change! I paid about £400 for my first car insurance and i'm still paying £400 now although now I have an Audi 1.8T Fully Comprehensive with protected NCB!! As your insurance gets lower you will go for a better/faster car - that life.

Absolutely get your own policy. Building up your own NCB is the best way to get cheaper insurance - speak to a broker some offer an 8 month policy that gives a full years NCB at the end ie 30% off! (Some insurers do this to make you stay with them so ask if you will be able to move it at the end.)

Limited milage and cheese wire (to get a female discount) are worth considering! Also get a quote for comprehensive with a £500 excess - this may only be a 'few quid more' and give windscreen cover. SPEAK TO A LOCAL BROKER!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back