Hi everyone

Jackinyrsax

Car
2.2 idtec civic
Well lads and lassies!

Im only new to driving let alone remapping or general modifications but I'm dying to get more up to speed and informed on how to go about starting on my civic. I've done a good bit of research and talked to a few mechanics about it so I understand most of the basics but need advice from people that have actually done it.

My first and only car is my 2012 2.2 idtec civic at stock 150hp. Its nippy enough but with a remap it'd be pretty exciting to get close to 200 without worrying about having excessive wear on the clutch. Is this a realistic assumption or am I going to be looking at a new clutch after a year or so with a stage 1 remap? Most companies are quoting a safe 190hp before they'd worry about excessive wear on parts. Is it more down to hard driving in lower gears that wears more? The cars sitting at 148000km's and driven pretty tamely in general so shouldn't be much wear atm.

As I said it's my only and first car so I'm wary of putting myself in a bad situation if I don't anticipate work that needs to be done with a remap in the near future.

Cheers for reading and any advice would be great!
Jack

Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin, sorry for my slow reply.

Nice to have you along, I hope you're enjoying the site. Please start up a project thread and share your experiences with all our other members and I wish you all the best in your project.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

If the clutch is weak then get a stronger one. If it all works ok you're good to go.

Sudden changes of speed and keeping it at biting point all wear the clutch.

The clutch is a weak spot on these engines but there are lots of upgrades around that can cope with the power.

It is down to luck really, some clutches cope well with higher power and others start to slip at modest increases, a lot is down to how the car has been treated in the past.

It is a pain changing the clutch but it doesn't make sense to me to hold down the remap power for the sake of an item that will need replacing after 10 years or so of driving anyway.

Clutch life is down to the way the driver uses it. The more it gets slipped the faster it wears along with dumping it with hi revs on board.

When it comes time to be replaced I would recommend that IF you replace it with the factory full face plate then the pressure plate should have its clamping pressure substantially increased.

Your driven plate options are

1 Cushion button sprung centre
2 cushion button solid centre
3 button plate sprung centre
4 button plate solid centre That's what I had in the car in the pic
5 multi plate

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back