hey

steve09

Track Warrior
Car
Honda NSR 125R
hey, i found out 'bout this site a while ago.. its pretty good for any kind of tuning tips. one of the best sites i have found for it.
now im thinking, im about to get a new car, im thinking of spending about up to £1000, poss a little bit more if the cars good enough. now im thinking of getting an audi a3, somthing along the lines of that kinda size. i also open to idea's on other cars because i will have to spend over a grand to get the a3. does anyone know what the a4 handles like cos i can get one for under 1000.

plus, whats the deal with the audi coupe (1995), i've heard that its rubbish at pulling away but good for pulling when your already moving. is that just people who dont know what there talking about or is there some truth to it?

Alright Steve, welcome to site mate! Glad to see you like it! £1000 isn't really a lot to work with mate, personally if I saw an A4 for under a grand I'd be pretty sure it would be too good to be true...and 99 times out of 100 I'd be right! I know you can pick MR2s for about £2000. If you just want a running mid-engined car (i.e. high mileage) then look at 306s, old Civics and maybe an MR2! As for Audi's, they seem to be expensive. Good luck with the search.

well although you said that its probably too good to be true, have a look on auto trader. there are a about 10 in my area (60 miles so best to go national if your looking) that are near to or over 100k miles on the clock and are under a grand. now tbh i dont know about the reliability of audi's. would an a4/a3 still be a good car for modding the engine or would i be better in getting a newer one incase it blew?

An Audi A3 or an A4 would be be a good car to mod, but not if the engine has 100,000 miles on it, it's not worth it.

I had a look on Auto Trader...the A3s don't look worth it but a couple of the A4s look alright. Personally I wouldn't buy a car or mod a car with such a high mileage, chances are they'll need parts changing on them fairly soon. Although, the only way to find out for sure is to check them out fully, and then test drive them. When dealing with high mileage cars though you can't expect a lot, they'll probably have a few scratches and marks on the paintwork and the interior definitely won't look new. The car will also feel like it has high mileage with it's handling (from my experience lower mileage cars feel smoother and more responsive). If it was me, I would save up a little bit more and buy a car (Audi or not... your choice) that hasn't got such a high mileage and comes with a decent (if not full) service history as most of the cars I've looked at don't even advertise service history.

Of course, depsite what anyone on this forum advises or thinks, it's your choice! :bigsmile:

I had a friend who bought an A4 1.8 with 120,000 miles on the clock and it runs really well. It cost him much less than £1000 and repairs so far only come to £300.

I'd rather a low mileage old car than a high mileage newer one myself. The A3's are in strong demand so the prices are pretty high. The A4 however is an executive car and lets face it the execs do not want to be driving around in older cars.

The A4 is better value for money but the A3 is marginally better at handling and performance.

Thankfully the build quality on Audis is brilliant and as long as it has been regulalrly serviced (OIL CHANGES ARE ESSENTIAL) you will not have a problem.

hey and welome steve.
youve never said if it petrol or diesel your looking at ?
if it diesel i woundnt worry about the 100k mark if its been looked after.

i was looking for petrol cos apart from modern diesel the power you get is nowere near the petrol equivolent

well i, like many others can vouch for the 1.8t unit. but that is really the only petrol engine with more power than the diesel. in real diving terms (normal driving if you want between lets say 50 and 80 ) the diesels win hands down because of the torque.
i heard of the 130 bhp units tuned up to 190bhp and kicking the likes of civic type r's easily. your also got the economy of a diesel if your covering major miles

humm..... right... i learnt in a 1.8td focus. so your saying that when your moving the 1.8t diesel would win in pulling over a 1.8t a3? i thought as the petrol revs more you would get more of a pull out of it?

dont know to be honest, depends on what gear your in. if both were sitting at 2k rpm leaving a 30mph area changes are the diesel would have more pull.
i know mine is gutless below 3000rpm as thats where the turbos on full boost yet the diesel will be in full stride by then.

ok the 1.8 diesel in the focus is a little low on power. the 2.0 would be a better comparision

1.8t AUQ engine = 185bhp and 172ftlb ( info for my engine taken from diagnosics port)
2.0tcdi ford engine= 136bhp and 250 ftlb ( info from msn )
its the 80ish ftlb of torque that makes a difference

when you put your foot down mid range, the shove is the torque not the power

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back