Here's a quickie for your drag experts...

MasterAuron

Very Senior Member
Car
Mk1 Focus RS
If I take my car to the strip what am I best adjusting my suspension to? Am I right in thinking I want the back soft and high and the front hard and low? FWD car btw.

Best off with back high and front low like you say, this will shift the centre of gravity slightly further forward and get more weight over the front wheels...

As for how hard to set the suspension...you want the back pretty darn hard, you wont stop the weight transfer from front to back but it will help keep the fronts in contact with the tarmac with a more equal force if you get what im saying? Front rebound should also be quite agressive

This is all IMO

No, best bet is to put bigger tyres on the back and raise the front so that you get a better weight transfer to the rear tyres. The car will then be useless and you will get rid of it and get a proper car for drag racing, ie RWD :)

No, best bet is to put bigger tyres on the back and raise the front so that you get a better weight transfer to the rear tyres. The car will then be useless and you will get rid of it and get a proper car for drag racing, ie RWD :)

haha, didnt expect anything less from you lol true though imo

agreed.:amuse:

All the tips offered are good, however, for serious drag racing with a FWD car you will require wheelie bars.

I was going to say that, but I don't think he wants to get that serious about it. I think he's doing it for fun competition.

Please explain?

Difficult to explain, at the outset I would like to point out that a FWD dragster is about the worst idea for serious drag racing because of inherent weight transfer problems.
Having said that ,FWD Drag racing is here to stay,and transverse mounted engines have the advantage that there are no chassis rolling moments. Rear wheel squat is very much present but much less as there is no rear wheel torque. To increase traction on FWD cars a wheelie bar about 8 feet long, or more -if the rules will allow- is attached at the rear in contact with the road this apparently, prevents the front from rising and losing traction.
A friend of mine in the US of A who drag races FWD cars says that wheelie bars help traction even better if the rear suspension is set up soft with stiffer jounce control.

Think of it as an anti roll bar but instead of stopping side to side lift, it works from front to rear.:D

Sorry, but what does, Front rebound should also be quite agressive - mean please Munday? :confused: