Help with polo 6n2 conversion !

johndub

Car
polo 6n2 1.0
I have a 1.0 polo 6n2 and I have seen people doing conversions putting in 1.8t audi tt bam engine. I was wondering if it would fit in it fine because I am almost sure people have put them into one and also I would like to know how much it would cost and all of the parts I will need ? Thankyou

Hello and welcome to the nuthouse mate ;)

yes it can be done but id advise using one of the less powerful 1.8ts as the BAM and AMK (think thats the other 225) engines cost a premuim where as the AUM and AUQs can be had for alot less and to be fair when remapped 210bhp is going to be more than enough for something as flimsy light as the polo.

you will also run into complications as the ECU will need to have the immobilier deactivated unless your going to work your way around it - the ECU, instrument clocks and key are all interlinked.
as for parts needed, ECU, engine, gearbox, engine bay loom, custom mounts, probably custom driveshafts, hubs, brakes. infact find a rear ended car so youve all the main parts there.

an easier swap might be the 2.0 16v from the mk3 gti 150bhp and less electrical complications to get over

as said avoid BAM and AMK lumps as they cost far too much money. i would actually suggest getting yourself an AGU (150bhp) engine, as these are the cheapest of the lot. if you buy a pre 99 engine, it will also come with forged rods, and 20mm wrist pins :) then add a KO4 manifold and turbo setup, bigger injectors (saab redtops are about £60 a set and will run 400cc each at 4bar),BAM/AMK inlet manifold,forge 007p Diverter valve, FMIC and a remap, will put you well over 225bhp for less money than you can buy a BAM engine for!

Cheapest engines around seem to be the AEB lumps from Passats, but you will need to change the Sump/oil pickup and also the inlet manifold to fit into your polo. But they are large port non VVT engines, which is what you want if your going to be tuning it.

Saying that, i have seen a few AMK engines on ebay recently for not massive amounts of money, and lets face it, 210bhp in a polo wouldnt be shy!

as said avoid BAM and AMK lumps as they cost far too much money. i would actually suggest getting yourself an AGU (150bhp) engine, as these are the cheapest of the lot. if you buy a pre 99 engine, it will also come with forged rods, and 20mm wrist pins :) then add a KO4 manifold and turbo setup, bigger injectors (saab redtops are about £60 a set and will run 400cc each at 4bar),BAM/AMK inlet manifold,forge 007p Diverter valve, FMIC and a remap, will put you well over 225bhp for less money than you can buy a BAM engine for!

Cheapest engines around seem to be the AEB lumps from Passats, but you will need to change the Sump/oil pickup and also the inlet manifold to fit into your polo. But they are large port non VVT engines, which is what you want if your going to be tuning it.

Saying that, i have seen a few AMK engines on ebay recently for not massive amounts of money, and lets face it, 210bhp in a polo wouldnt be shy!

Would a newer engine not be better then? Would you be able to find like a 99 engine that's in good condition ? I'm clueless about all this smk agu engines and that :) but you seem to suggest the agu engine the most where would be the best place to get one of these online and what engine size and everything ?
Also how much would you say it would cost to have the engine fitted without the mods ? And what brakes would you suggest for it and would I need front and rear disks ?
Thanks for the advice :)

If your paying to have the conversion done your looking at a minimum of £1500 + the engine.

Newer is not always better, the older AGU engines come with Forged rods and 20mm wrist pins, which none of the other engines did ( except BAM/AMK)

Id be looking at forums for the engine, i know of a few for sale at the mo, your looking around £800-1200 for a standard engine setup with wiring, ecu,ancillaries etc etc. £2000+ for an engine running on standalone management, with qpeng downpipe etc.

Take a look at the classifieds on here:

Edition38.com/forums

Thanks again mate.

This conversion is not something I'm going to be doig just yet because of insurance. :/ but I just trying get a list of things to save for so I can get something like brakes and that before the conversion so its ready. If you see where I'm coming from and a agu engine seems to be the one to get. Can't wait!

Keep your eyes peeled on ebay mate... I just bought a 20vT engine for £100. from what i can gather the turbo is dead, but thats no biggy to replace :)

Bargains are out there, just gotta keep looking for em!

Wouldnt be able to be 100% but im fairly confident a mk4 golf 20vT box will fit, will be tight, but it should fit!

As for brakes, Go as big as you can. Im not up on disc sizes on the 6n2, but id reckon you'd be able to get a set of audi 312mm beasties with twin pot calipers to bolt up.