Help with electronics

J

joepro

Hi guys, I need some help with some fairly basic stuff

I have 4 cigarette lighter powered accessories in my car that I'd like to install permanently and re-gain access to my single 12v socket for general use (sat navs etc.)

Is it okay (or even safe) to have 4 or 5 accessories drawing power at once??

So basically... I'm looking for a solution that will essentially eliminate the need for one of those socket splitters by directly wiring-in 4 of my accessories.

I'm after a fairly simple solution with as little taking apart of car components as possible.

Thanks guys!!

Hi guys, I need some help with some fairly basic stuff

I have 4 cigarette lighter powered accessories in my car that I'd like to install permanently and re-gain access to my single 12v socket for general use (sat navs etc.)

Is it okay (or even safe) to have 4 or 5 accessories drawing power at once??

So basically... I'm looking for a solution that will essentially eliminate the need for one of those socket splitters by directly wiring-in 4 of my accessories.

I'm after a fairly simple solution with as little taking apart of car components as possible.

Thanks guys!!

The answer depends entirely what the accessories are and how much current they draw. If they are high current devices then we might have to run additional fused supplies.

Let us know what the devices are and I'll answer the question for you.

Welcome to torque cars, by the way.

As a general rule it is probably best not to run too many items through one fuse.

In this case the total current is unlikely to blow the fuse becaus the lighter fuse usually goes direct back to a main live feed and has a large value but if any of them has a problem it will blow the fuse and because it is common to all the items they wont work

You could spur off this live to another new fusebox with a fuse for each extra item (they will all need an earth as well ) If you do this it needs to be taken from the live side of the lighter fuse not after it.
And this is only a good idea if as said before it is a main live feed.

If you do run everything from the original lighter circuit then you MUST ensure that you use cable with a rating higher than the lighter fuse for every single device.