help with ECU

mariomario

Car
dubrovnik
Hi ,i would like to marinise for boat use car cr engine smart 0.8cdi or kia 1.1crdi and before starting the project am stuck with ecu sensors is thee any way to block sensors,remap.... or is it aftermarket ecu the only way to do it:(

Pfffft - tall order and big question. It SHOULD be possible to do this, even with techniques that we'd not use on cars. Bear in mind though that marine engines for light craft are frequently naturally aspirated rather than turbocharged. It might be better to consider a marine specific diesel engine...... The cooling arrangements are often very different to road engines too

I like this question though, I am curious. Anyone out there with experience of marine engines??

Open forum TQCars chaps - let's see what we can do for our new member

thanks very much hdi and t9....ive seen it can be done
*Removed URL as stated by our terms and conditions*

*Removed URL as stated by our terms and conditions*

cooling will not be problem for me,atleat heat exchanger just have to do intercool[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]er part.
I think its great engine for small boat as this engines are very light ann parts u can find everywhere . 50hp marine engine will set u here for 12000 eur+ and that is just silly...

[/FONT]

*Hi buddy, this post got stuck in the moderation queue because as a new member you need to have made 10 posts first before the system will allow you to post any photos or web links*

T9 man
Super Moderator.

Point taken, and it's a good point you make.I suppose if we're running at 1500-2500rpm in steady state, just turning the propellor then you're not going to be running much turbo 'boost' at all. A 1.0 litre turbo engine will be much more efficient than a 2.0 litre naturally aspirated engine under such conditions.

So.... if we can get the ECU re-coded to ignore the absence of DPF and lambda sensors you might well have a good to go arrangement. You could also get the code/remap to offer optimal torque at such crank speeds.

I'm liking this :D

thanks hdi;)
you nailed it ! how do you re-code ECU is there a way to do it,to block DPF and lambda sensors and another one from gearbox .and remap will do miracles to optimize tourque ant this engine speeds 1500/2200.
thanks i like it to and found brand new cdi engine very cheap for sale

That'll be a case of some local research mister :)

I will do some research here too, I'm assuming that the ECU's will be the same in all markets, just with different local settings.

Good luck, I'll be in touch

thanks hdi ...i did local research ,my friend has best auto electric shop here and he doesnt know a thing about modification small town Dubrovnik.'m assuming the ECU/S
are the same in all europe. can Mercedes DAS-Xentry block the codes from ecu or some other device or software?

whatever car engine use you can obviously use its ecu and sensors

Trouble is the ecu will be tuned to a completely different power band as most car engines perform differently to a boat engine .
This means whatever you use would need serious tuning . I very much doubt any stock ecu would be capable of doing this
If you must use one of the named engines then I think an aftermarket ECU would be a must and they are not cheap .

So as suggested earlier in the thread you might be better to pick an engine with the power band you need then the ecu would only need tweaking

The point this chap is making is that the engine is readily available and cheap. It's perfectly feasible to use a reduction gearbox to create suitable propellor speeds. In fact this is fairly common procedure. Engine at 3000rpm and prop at 1200, for example.

Hi sleeper !
please can u tell me how can someone use car engine and its sensors?
There will be no problem with tuning engine,because in the end small boat will always need 6/8 hp to reach max. displacement speed ,if someone tune it it will be better but not much loss there .i know aftermarket ecu would be best solution,but as u said its just to expensive .

/ you might be better to pick an engine with the power band you need then the ecu would only need tweaking/
i did not understand this what u mean by that /ps..sorry my English is not that good

Hdi I do understand it is price related that was obvious from mm' s post . In fact you suggested a marine engine as well so I don't get your reply to me,

However if we are to help........( which was the point of my post)..
if the reduction gearbox is so simple then get an na engine and the ecu should work because if I understand mm correctly he only wants some power
Or go to an na carb set up on a turbo motor and hand tune ? Not sure if thi will work but it's a thought
And tweaking is just small adjusments

I did suggest a marine engine initially. Subsequent thinking led me to the reduction box idea, it hadn't occurred to me initially !!! I wasn't being hypocritical, nor was I swiping at anyone :)

Carbs aren't going to work with a diesel engine.

^^^^ Well yes ^^^^ That is very unconventional for marine operation though unless we're talking about outboard motors. Which I don't think is the case here.

What's the attraction of carbs anyway? I think well managed multipoint sequential injection beats carbs hollow.....

thanks everyone...every engine have reduction box,gearbox for boats which is attached to engine .
at-least 99% of boat engines are marinised car,tractor ,truck,small truck , engine and there is no engine made from factory to use just in boats ..in my other boat i have 50 hp volvo penta engine ,but this engine is car engine, perkins prima engine and when its painted in green with volvo sticker it cost 15.700eur....every big " manufacturer " use car engine as theres base engine ,they only put theres marinising kit, heat exchanger ,pump,and gearbox and sell x5 price. i have small power boat with inboard v6 engine 220hp petrol engine ,and with todays prices of fuel its no go. every day on sea it cost 100/300 eur of petrol fuel:(
yes 90% of time a will use only 6/10 hp but u have to have more in case of bad weather big waves ...
the only problem i have is to block codes from ecu
can Mercedes DAS-Xentry block the codes from ecu or some other device or software?

^^^^ Well yes ^^^^ That is very unconventional for marine operation though unless we're talking about outboard motors. Which I don't think is the case here.

What's the attraction of carbs anyway? I think well managed multipoint sequential injection beats carbs hollow.....

Carbs dont need any control by an ecu and mm said performance wasnt as important as easy to get working properly

SLEEPER, just give up on the carbs and petrol. Please. Injectors do not necessarily have to be under ECU management. Diesel engines have been around far longer than TTL and CMOS.